We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money matters

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Money matters

Just here in Antigua enjoying the sights and wanted to share what I have experienced on money matters. I brought a mix of TCs, cash, credit card, and ATM card.

Posted retail cash exchange rates are about 8.17-8.20 Q per US dollar. My ATM card has been netting me about 8.27-8.29 Q per dollar. Over the course of the $800 I have exchanged, I've received about 80 Q more than a straight cash exchange, which is enough for a good meal for the two of us.

Finding and using ATMs has been no problem and they all appear to be well serviced and no one has been out of money. Of course, we have stuck to the ATMs in the more touristy/safe places.

Hope this info helps someone.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money matters

>>Finding and using ATMs has been no problem and they all appear to be well serviced and no one has been out of money. Of course, we have stuck to the ATMs in the more touristy/safe places.<<

I used an ATM in a minimart in Guatemala City somewhere- our tour bus stopped there for a bathroom/snack break- and was utterly astounded that it worked like a charm.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money matters

Good info, thanks.

3. Re: Money matters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Guatemala