We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car or buses?

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car or buses?

My wife & I are visiting Guatemala next month for about a week. Just starting to make an itinerary. Probably will include Antigua, Lake Atitlan, ChiChi and Quetzaltenango. We'll take a shuttle bus from the Guatemala Airport to Antigua, but beyond that am unsure of choice of transportation. When visiting countries, we like to rent cars because it allows us to explore more, but am wondering if it makes sense this time especially if we were to spend several days at the lake (after having rented the car in Antigua). Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car or buses?

My choice would be to use the shuttles. You can easily book them from Antigua after you arrive.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car or buses?

Yes, agreed with the shuttles suggestion...while I am like you in terms of exploration, there are parts of Guatemala where only Mayan dialects are spoken and not even fluent Spanish would save you. So if you get lost on the road, it may be some time before you get yourself back on track. More of a precaution, not necessarily a safety issue. Besides, in the Atitlan area you can ferry back and forth across the lake on boats...so much nicer.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car or buses?

I like to have a car too, but in Guate, especially if you're on the major tourist routes, a car is more trouble than it's worth.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car or buses?

And rentals are expensive to boot.Buses and shuttles are everywhere and very affordable.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car or buses?

Quite the contrary you can find good deals on rental cars in guatemala with local rental car companies and internationsl franchises. This is jus to give you an idea on offered car models and rates. A weekly rate could probably work out better for you.http://www.guatemalarentacar.com/ I look at things from a different point of view. I feel safer doing my own driving rather than letting someone I don't know behind the wheel. And that's why I prefer to rent a car, unless I can find first class transportation to my destination. And that's because I've seen the difference between their drivers and the chicken bus road maniacs. . But in your case, renting a car would only be worth if you had plans to travel all over the country. Because there is plenty of shuttle type transportation available to Antigua and Atitlan.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car or buses?

Try again http://www.guatemalarentacar.com/

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car or buses?

I'm not the OP, but thanks for that. I should have looked at current prices before I said they were expensive...I haven't rented in the last 7 years, but back then we paid almost $700 a week for a basic Mitsubishi. Prices are MUCH better now. Hmmm. I'm tempted to try it again...

Balatonfured...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car or buses?

you need to shop around, though.

My head spins at reading even your own State Department's report on Guatemala; the crimes: extortions at road-blocks, carjacking, mugging & mob violence all make feel like it is not the best place to drive around. But I can see your point about being tied up in a tourist shuttle ... feel like being in a cage.

9. Re: Rental car or buses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2012, 10:17