We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

in a few weeks i am thinking of taking the overnight bus from mexico, d.f. to palenque, visit the ruins and then take a bus from there to flores, guatemala (any suggestion there?) then after visiting tikal, i would like to take a bus to guatemala antigua (next suggestion?) then from there to san jose in costa rica (next?) from there to david (panama) and the on to boquete(?). on the way back, I would like to go as quickly as possible from boquete to granada(nicaragua) and finally from granada to tapachula in chiapas. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated esp. if they would avoid some of the overnighters with the tica-bus.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

Not sure about avoiding Tica bus entirely, but here's some help in getting as far as San Salvador from Palenque.

www.mostlymaya.com/howto/Palenque-Flores.html

enjoyguatemala.com/transfers/lineadorada.htm

http://www.pullmantur.com/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

thank you so much! it sounds great! i'll let you know how it worked, once i get back!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

I am not sure can avoid overnighters with any bus. Even if you take the public bus, at some point they stop running.

Another option is King Quality who goes from San Salvador to Costa Rica. I don't know if they have any overnight buses but they have a helpful website.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

this is to respond to hattie, i tried king quality and they give me a price list, but no schedule. to go straight from el salvador to costa rica in one go would be great though. do you, by any chance have an idea what time their buses leave from san salvador and at what time they arrive in san jose?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,153 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

Hmmmm....you must like sitting on buses more than I do to plan so much of that. How long are you planning for the whole loop?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

Well FYI www.king-qualityca.com/main_tarifas.html has service to CR all the way from guatemala city. And you're right, their web page leaves a lot to be desired, because it doesn't have a bus schedule. But I'm sure they only have one departure a day just like Tica bus. You could try to e-mail them. They have their own terminal in Vista Hermosa, zona 15, an affluent residential area in GC. I haven't read of any disssastified travellers.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

I hate TA because they don't give you enough time to edit and be able to make corrections to your post.

www.king-qualityca.com/main_itinerarios.html

As you can see King Quality has two daily buses for San Salvador from GC. One at 6:30AM and another one in the afternoon at 3:30 which apparently connects to CR. Click on ITINERARIO to get the schedule.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

I am still not used to all this, and i just find it very difficult to post a response, thus while while i think that this is a great forum for an exchange of ideas the tecgnicalities are flawed or is it just my lack of computer knowledge.

anyway, very helpful info. i will be on the road a total of six weeks and i am not crazy about buses, but somehow in my mind it works better for me, if i do one big chunk and then be done with it for a while. thank you kyle, that was very helpful. i am truly thrilled about this trip, because i have been so many times to mexico and panama (on my way to s america), but necer anywhere in between panama and mexico.

9. Re: planned bus trip of central america--any suggestions at all?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 10:17