We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

brisbane
Level Contributor
12 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

Hi

I would like to share my itinerary and ask for view points

2 nights Antigua (Del Layenda)

4 nights Lake Atitilan (La Casa Del MUndo) +beautiful views -food not so good, with not much choice due to isolation ((any other recommendations))

O/N bus to Flores (probably ADN)

Here is the first question, I believe the bus arrives at 6am, can you get an early morning shuttle at this time to Tikal, drop bags off at hotel (undecided, any suggestions) then do a tour, can I arrange all this through a tour company to make it 'seamless', (heard bad things with San Juan) Like Rainbow.

I have the time in Antigua so I could arrange this here????

Maybe do Ixpanpajul for the day

Then on to San Iganatio 4 nights Mystic River lodge

5 nights Tranquility bay Resort Abergris Caye, I like the fact that it is secluded here, great snorkelling off beach, though some of diving and tours seem expensive, any sugestions, we are both divers, though we will be on our honeymoon, I could spend lots of time under water, but not the lady.

Hope to hear from you soon

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

Hello again (just responded to a similar post on the Thorntree forum).

Ixpanpajul is much closer to Flores than to Tikal; you might want to visit there the morning you arrive in Flores, then head to Tikal from there. You'd beat the heat that way, too.

www.ixpanpajul.com

You could set up your Tikal trip through a place like Rainbow Travel or Adrenalina:

www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

www.adrenalinatours.com

My favorite hotel in the park is the Tikal Inn. Archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz is an amazing guide, highly recommended: tikal_roxy@yahoo.com . Her mom's place in El Remate, Hotel La Mansion Del Pajaro Serpiente, looks interesting but I haven't been there.

www.tikalinn.com

www.30minutesfromtikal.com

Lots of photos and recommendations below. Congratulations - sounds like a wonderful honeymoon!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

You might consider Lomas de Tzununa instead of CDM. Same views, better views, fewer guests, but more steps.

brisbane
Level Contributor
12 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

thanks for the replies,

Hopefulest, I threw in Ixpanpajul as an after thought and will go there straight from the bus, (tired and all) from Flores.

Hold my bags there, for half day zip lining, skywalks and horse riding, www.ixpanpajul.com then on to the Tikal inn and do the tours from there, can you walk from the inn to the park entrance?

Are there just shuttles or normal buses running between Flores and Tikal, if not how much are cabs? this is the only part that seems shady, so might just book shuttles with either the two companies listed.

Don, I have weighed up Tunza also, still undecided, both seem rather good

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

You can book your round trip transportation through San Juan Travel Agency as most other tourists do. Another choice is a travel agency in Flores called Recepteros Turisticos Peteneros located at Calle 15 de Septiembre. Both companies charge the same - Q60 round-trip.

Either travel agency offers a few minivans to Tikal at different times in the morning and then some in the afternoon for returning back to Flores. The departure times from Flores for the latter company I mentioned is: 4:30 AM, 5:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM, and 8:00 AM. They only have 2 return times back to Flores: 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM.

San Juan Travel Agency has about the same amount of trips scheduled each day, with the exception of more return shuttles back to Flores in the afternoon, and if I remember correctly, the last shuttle they offer back to Flores is at around 5:30 PM...

Also, you can simply go to the bus station in Santa Elena and catch a bus for going to Tikal. Asociacion de Transportes runs buses to Tikal for Q20 and the departure times from Santa Elena are: 6:00 AM, 6:30 AM, 7:00 AM, 8:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:30 AM, and 12:30 AM. They also have buses that leave Santa Elena at 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM, ending in the village of Uaxactun.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

Also, you can reserve a shuttle in Antigua for going to Flores, if you want. There is one that leaves Panajachel everyday at 4: 00 PM which stops in Antigua and continues onward to Flores for $55 USD one way. The company is Atitrans and their address in Antigua is 6a. avenida sur # 8 and their website is www.atitrans.com Good luck!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

I had a group of 15 in tow and we hired Adrenalina to drive us from the Tikal Inn to Ixpanpajul and, after a few hours, on to Flores. It was cheaper than each paying the share shuttle price because there were so many of us. I can't help with transportation in the region beyond that. Good luck!

brisbane
Level Contributor
12 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

Thanks Maya and Hopefullest,

I will try Recepteros Turisticos Peteneros for the shuttle.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

Their office is located right across the road from Hotel Mirador del Lago in Flores. Also, you can book trips with them through some of the restaurants and hotels on the island. Good luck bud!

9. Re: guatemala Belize in 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:17