We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Israel
Level Contributor
621 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

We would like to spend about two weeks hiking, and visiting caves and volcanoes in Guatemala.

We will be travelling only for about two weeks and don't want to spend much time moving from one place to another, rather spend about 3-5 days in each place.

Which areas/sights do you recommend visiting ?

Thanks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Antigua, Lake Atitlán, and Tikal; if you want to add a place, there's a different sort of beauty in the area around Rio Dulce and Livingston. My photos, blogs, and travelogues are below in case you'd like to check them out.

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Mentioned in this post
Rio Dulce
Rio Dulce
111 Reviews
Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

PS You should get a guidebook - lots of cultural background information and proposed itineraries as well as details about lodging, tours, and food. There are quite a few; I've had good luck with both the Rough Guide and the Moon Handbook.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

This site could also be helpful for learning something about the country

www.authenticmaya.com and for hotel information www.guatemalastory.com

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Like hopefulist stated earlier.....you would probably enjoy seeing the places she mentioned, by spending a week in the Peten and also a week in the Highlands. You get the best of both worlds that way. Have fun!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

I think it should be mentioned here that there is a travel advisory warning (at least a Canadian one) for Peten and archaeological site of Tikal.

voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/…

Drug cartels and associated violence (27 farm workers were murdered in May) are moving into Guatemala.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Tikal is Guatemala'.s cash cow. I feel reasonably certain that the national government is being effective in keeping non-Canadians safe there, despite any aberrations. I do think that Canadian immigrant farm workers should especially stay away from Petén. Admittedly you never know what could happen to them....

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

The massacre and related incidents since in Peten are west of the airport. Tikal is northeast. I took a student group to Tikal last Saturday. It was fine. No signs of any problems whatsoever.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Everywhere has it's own problems that that shouldnt effect your trip. Guatemala has changed over the last few years and they've noticed a great drop of crime.

Memphis
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Just back from Guatemala yesterday. Lake Atitlan was beautiful. While we were taking the boat across to Antigua, we saw from the water a tall waterfall, high up on a mountain. Don't know what the name is, but would have loved to have seen it up close by land.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most beautiful places in Guatemala for a 2 weeks trip.

Just returned today from 12 days in Guatemala: Antigua, Chichastenango, Atitlan, Coban (Sumac Chumpay) and then Flores, Tikal. Fly one way from Flores to Guatemala City on the last day before the flight back home. Beautiful trip and no problems to report.