We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala Intinerary

New York
14 posts
Save Topic
Guatemala Intinerary

I have 2 weeks in Guatemala and I'm trying to decide how long to stay in each place I go. I start off in Antigua, was planning to stay 2 nights there, then a few days in Lake Aitlan. Here's where it gets tricky. I then plan to go to Lanquin, Flores, Tikal, Poptun (finca Ixobel) and then on to Rio Dulce and Livingston.

Does anyone have any idea how low I should plan staying in these places?

Thanks!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala Intinerary

You can do the math pretty easy. Figure a day travel between places (on average). So if you try to make all the stops on your itinerary you will be spending every other day traveling, with one day in each location.

That may be great for you, but I would trim a location or two off and save them for next time. Lanquin is the furthest off the route.

Rio Dulce and Livingston are both in the same location (mas o menos).

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala Intinerary

You'd be spending most of your time traveling, with very little time to visit and explore. I just tried out an itinerary for those places and it really doesn't work. I'd suggest dropping Lanquin and Poptun.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala Intinerary

I agree with the above - too much for 2 weeks unless you want every other day to be a transition day where you pack up and sit in a vehicle much of the day; those days can be surprisingly tiring and not very fun.

I'd spend 3 nights in Antigua, 4-5 nights on the lake, at least 2 nights in the Petén, then pick one other place for the rest.

My photos, blogs, travelogues, and reviews are below in case you'd like to check them out. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

New York
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala Intinerary

Thank you for your suggestion! Very helpful!

5. Re: Guatemala Intinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 03:16