We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North West Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

Going to South Americal Nov 26 th to Dec 17th.

For different reasons have ruled out Brazil and Peru, and now feel that because of the time of year and its relatively compact size it might be an idea to go to Guatemala.

Anyway as this is a special occassion (40th) looking for an interesting mild trek to do. No ropes and crampons, just a 3/4 day walk.

Any suggestions?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

You might consider the Pacaya volcano hike. If you're around the lake, your hotel can find a guide to lead a hike between villages. Neither should be terribly strenuous.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

Where at in Guatemala? What are you expecting to see during the trek? It makes a difference, in my opinion.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

How long will you be in country? One of my favorite areas (though I wouldn't recommend it for a short visit to Guatemala) is the Ixil Triangle - some great high altitude hikes. You should be able to reach Guias Ixiles at the link below and could check out my photos in the 2007 photo collection. Happy trails!

www.nebaj.com

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections/

North West Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

Thx for responses.

Im actually in Guat for a total fo 3 weeks. Would like to travel/do something interesting for 7 to 10 days then end up on Carribean Coast for 10 days of lazy sun, eithe ron the coast or on the Island.

DonCraig - Which lake is that?

mayaruinsonly - Re the trek i would be happy to see something of the landscape and people and possibly some historical sites. We are relativley fit but not too cultured. A friend has mentioned that you can get 3/4 day guided treks staying in local villages on the way. Where would this be?

hopefulist - 20 days in Guat, where roughly is Ixil Triangle? Is it possible high altitude treks might be a bit too strenuous and requitre acclimatising etc?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

Do you have a guidebook? Both the Rough Guide and Moon Handbook are good. That's where you should start in my opinion - read the cultural and historical background sections and the itinerary suggestions and come back to us with more specific questions. We're willing to help (as you can see) but shouldn't have to teach you things you can easily read in a guidebook or on a site like this:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations

For 10 days of lazy sun on the Caribbean coast I'd head to Belize or Honduras; the Caribbean side of Guatemala is interesting but maybe not what you're thinking. The lake is Lake Atitlán, a highlight of Guatemala (and a clue that you have a bit of reading to do. ;-)

Yeah, maybe a bit of acclimatizing to do at high altitude. Your options will be high altitude or hot, sweaty jungle in the Petén (you can read about that in a guidebook, too).

Happy trails!

North West Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

Thx for that, i do indeed have the Rough Guide, i will start reading

Santa Cruz la...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

If you come to Lake Atitlan this is located at about 1500 mtrs. by sea level. There are plenty of options if hiking and landscapes is what you are looking for.

Hike to the Indian Nose "amazing views" plus a visit to Santa Clara la Laguna spend the night with at a Mayan familly or a Hotel nearby in San Juan la Laguna.

Next day hike Volcan San Pedro on lake Atitlan -

3rd. Day spend the night in Santa Cruz la Laguna, hike up to the PICO DE CIELO plus a visit at the mayan Kaqchiquel Villages, unbeatable hike - level challenging. In the afternoon return to Santa Cruz la Laguna, and get ready for the next day.

Day 4. Hike up to The Ceremonial Center of Santa Cruz la Laguna toward an authentic market of "Sololá" on the Same day you can continue your trip to the Ixil triangle and spend the night at the Hacienda San Antonio in Acul –

Day 5. start one of the most unforgettable 9hrs. hiking at La Sierra de los Cuchumatanes is the highest non-volcanic mountain range in Central America. This day you will spend the night at the Unicornio Azul, in Chancol.

Day 6. From the Unicornio Azul – Hike to todos los Santos The town is one of few places in Guatemala where indigenous men still wear their traditional clothing, along with the women. Spend the night here in town (there is one place only to spend the night or return to the Unicornio Azul)

Day 7. Get up early and start your hike up to la Ventosa or La Torre two optional hike on the same route both of them are amazing! La torre is the most! From here you will have amazing views of some Guatemala volcanoes, beautiful! Spend the night at the Unicornio Azul or Come to Zaculeu to see the Mayan Ruins.

Day 8. In the early morning leave Huehuetenango to San Martin chile verde and have another treasure of Guatemala, Volcano laguna Chicabal, one of the last cloudy woods of this region of Guatemala, with its own flora and fauna, characteristics of the ecosystems of this place.

Also considered a sacred ceremonial place lagoon which is located at the very crater of this volcano. http://lagunadechicabal.com/ You can even spend the night here, there are some nice rooms as well.

Day 9. Drive to the Zunil ridge for another hike with stunning scenery and the views of the volcanoes on the sides, Santa Marian, Tajumulco and the volcanoes on Lake Atitlan.

This day you can come and spend the night again on Lake Atitlan for the rest of the days, relax have a massage read a book and plan for the rest of your vacation.

Buen Viaje!!!

8. Re: Please suggest a 3/4 day work tour in Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:17