We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala in June?

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala in June?

I realise June is the wet season but I'd like to know if it is still OK to travel from say Flores to Guatemala City for a week or two in late June? Any tips on places to see, stay and reputable guide options?

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala in June?

June is the start of the rainy season there but it is still an enjoyable time to visit Guatemala. Now that I think about it, any month is a good time to visit Guatemala. You'll be fine! Three places I recommend seeing in the Peten are Yaxha, Nakum and Tikal. If it has rained while you are there, your chances for visiting Nakum will be very slim due to the muddy roads to get there. As for guide possibilities, there are three guides I could recommend for visiting these sites: Dieter Richter at Cafe Ecologico Yaxha, Walfre Chi, and Roxy Ortiz.

http://www.the-mayan-adventure.com/

http://www.mayaruinsonly.com/walfre_chi.htm

http://www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you need anything else.

Saludos!

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
103 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala in June?

Rainy season in Guatemala doesn't mean monsoon - mornings are almost always clear, then it rains in the afternoon or at night, from a sprinkle to a deluge. But there's no reason not to travel during that time (except that it's high season: higher prices, more crowds).

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,970 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala in June?

All of my 9 or 10 visits to Guatemala have been during the summer months - I'm heading back again in July next year. We've found it to be a great time to visit. Can't wait to retire and try out other times of the year, though! My photos and trip reports are below in case you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala in June?

We spend anywhere from 2 weeks to a month in Guatemala in June. This year it was only 2 weeks because of other plans. Last year it was about 6 weeks and that was a very rainy, rough June.

Over all, we have a good time visiting Guatemala in June. What we have done in past years as a family is get up early (with the sunrise) and start doing what we want to do outside right after a quick breakfast. Then, between 3pm and 5pm we make our way back to the house so we can relax and have family time while it rains.

This June my daughter wanted more pool time so we reversed the plan on several days and hung by the pool in the morning and then dawned our rainwear and headed out for the afternoon. We did get wet now and then, but had a fun time doing stuff in the afternoon and even in the rain.

I think any time of the year is a good time to travel to Guatemala. In some cases people argue that June is one of the best times to travel because the rain keeps the dust down and the area is lush.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guatemala in June?

It's a crapshoot. In June 2010 I took a group on a nine-day trip, and it hardly rained at all, except for one 24 hour period. Same trip this past June, there was rain every day, at all times of the day. But the weather usually won't stop you from doing what you want to do.

6. Re: Guatemala in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 16:18