We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitor

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visitor

Hi

Hubby and me were thinking about visiting beautiful Guatemala during the last week of November. I haven't done any reservations yet, as I am quite lost as to where to go, stay and what all to see in the 7 or 8 days we might have. I do know that we want to see the Tikal ruins and the Atitlan lake. Which are the most beautiful beaches there? Do people rent cars there? Are they available/safe to drive around etc? Where do people generally stay? We are budget travelers but we also look for comfort and safety. We are Asian Indians and we love to travel and do light to moderate hiking. Also, we are US green card holders do we need a visa to visit Guatemala? Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitor

JrsyGal,

If you don't own a good guide book for Guatemala, it would be an excellent idea for you to invest in one. My favorite is The Rough Guide, but Moon's is ok too. The book you choose to buy will tell you all you want to know, with the exception of the question regarding the visa. You can find that info at the website for the Guatemalan Embassy.

An additional resource for information regarding Guatemala is the website for INGUAT - www.visitguatemala.com/web/index.php…

Edited: 09 November 2011, 16:56
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitor

I agree with Greg - looks like you need a guidebook pronto! You see my photos and read about my trips (with lodging recommendations) below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections/

Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitor

Guidebook..hummm....I am not much of a book reader. :P

Hopefulist: thanks for the link, that's very helpful. I am sure, most of my questions are going to be answered in there. Thanks again.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitor

You should get a guidebook, but basically 1st time tourists would spend a few days in Antigua, a few at the lake, and get up to Tikal. Usually they'd hit the market in Chichicastenango going between Antigua and the lake. Tourist shuttles are generally more convenient (and much cheaper) than renting a car. In general, Guatemala does not have good beaches.

Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visitor

DonCraig thanks for the info!

Btw, could anyone tell me if I plan to go to Nicaragua Costa Rica Honduras and Gautemala in 15 days would it be feasible? Or would it be too rushed?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visitor

15 days is what you need just for guatemala. And for your info, green card holders in the USA don't need a visa to enter guatemala. But you may want to check with your airline to be on safe side.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visitor

TOO RUSHED - 4 countries in 15 days is (no offense) is crazy. It's just 3 or 4 days per country; you'd spend a really high percentage of your time on buses and mainly get to see the big cities.

In 2 weeks you could enjoy many of Guatemala's highlights or you could see a few highlights in Guatemala and then head to Honduras or Belize for blue water time, a bit rushed but a good combination.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visitor

If all of those countries were not so spread out, it would be a little easier. It would still be a terrible trip, though. I definitely would not want to go on a trip like that, I'll tel you that much. If you wanted to only do 2 of those countries in 15 days it would be an awesome trip.

I would pair them up as Guatemala/Honduras & Costa Rica/Nicaragua and choose to do a trip that would include only one of the two combinations. Anything else would not be feasible, in my opinion. I totally agree with Kyle and Stacey!

Edited: 10 November 2011, 01:18
Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visitor

Thank you Kyle Stacy and Mayanruins only. I would definitely keep in mind whatever you said and plan my trip accordingly. After sifting through various pages over the Internet I too agree that all four destinations would be a heavy over load.

Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visitor

Just booked my tickets from 24th November to 3rd December. Will land late night on the 24th and fly out @2 pm on 3rd so basically that leaves me with 8 full days in hand. I trimmed the trip because we have 3 weeks of hols between now to Dec 31st this year. Plan to go to the virgin islands at that time for a longer span.

I am hoping I am able to cover Antigua, lake Atitles?? Sp?? Tikal and maybe a volcano in this time frame. From what I read, I understand that Tikal and Atitles would take at a minimum of 2 days each. Are 4 attractions in 8 days doable?