My partner & I originally planned to go to Guatemala in 2009 but because of the crime and safety issues, we went to Peru instead.
So after reading some of the recent posts and trip reports, it seems it's "more or less" safe again to travel to Guatemala. But I would like to have some re-assurance from you the experts or locals who live there.
Here are my (kind of silly) questions:
1) So I should absolutely avoid using ATM, and use only pre-paid Visa cards. Anywhere OR outside GC and Antigua would be okay?
2) Should I exchange money at the bank or the hotels? I am a little leery because I read somewhere that robbers wait outside the banks to mug tourists.
3) How bad is the mugging on the street? The gun-point ones sound frightening. Does it happen during the day as well? And is it only limited to GC and Antigua?
4) Safe to take taxis in Antigua? Are Tuk-tuks the same as taxis?
5) Should I assume it's safe to take the shuttle from Antiqua to Panajachel since there are no more robbers on the highway?
6) Is it safe to leave electronics at the hotels? Anyone had bad experience otherwise?
Sorry for all these silly questions. In Peru I did encountered some pick-pockets. They were so organized that I could barely find out while crossing the traffic light on the street. Nothing happened 'cos I didn't bring any valuable while we were sight-seeing. : )