We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reston, Virginia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

Google maps has me taking 11 South off of 1 (via Santa Antonio Palopo). Is it better to just stay on 1 through Panajachel to El Amate?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

If that's the route I'm thinking of, I'd suggest that it would be easier, and safer, to take the Pan Am hwy past Los Encuentros and then take rte. 1 south through Solola.

Kyle has more experience driving in that area; hopefully he'll be along to share an opinion.

Reston, Virginia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

Thank you!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

From looking at my road map I can see that Santa Catarina Palopo is the town next to Panajachel. So, to be on safe side from Antigua I'd go up to connect with the CA-1 (Panamerican Highway) as suggested by DonCraig and then turn left at Los Encuentros and down to Solola/Panajachel. FYI all the guatemalan google maps I've seen on-line always show towns/areas at places where they shouldn't be. For instances I've never heard of anything called El Amate near Solola or Panajachel. So, I don't know how reliable they are.

Reston, Virginia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

Thanks Kyle. You guys are awesome.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

FYI from looking at this portion of the map I don't see some paved roads that should be there. I've driven the route from Panajachel up to Godinez which goes down to Patulul to connect with Cocales on CA-2. A very scenic road with breath taking views of the lake up from the top, but with very little traffic. But I felt safe driving a rental car by myself. maplandia.com/guatemala/…

maplandia.com/guatemala/…

I'm sure they're still working on this maps because even here in the US this type of maps are not totally accurate.

Edited: 18 May 2012, 15:58
6. Re: Best Driving Route from Antigua to Santa Catarina Palopo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:41