We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan Tours

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caravan Tours

Considering going on the Guatemala or Panama trip. Concerned about the safety of Guatemala. Can anyone provide feedback?

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravan Tours

I just got back today from visiting Guatemala. If you go there you should be more worried about catching dengue fever rather than crimes and such.

There was, however, a tourist bus recently that was pulled over by men with guns and machetes in the El Remate area. The 22 tourists were heading to Tikal. Some of them were robbed before the police arrived.

There was also a tourist robbed at the lookout at Tayasal recently. This is just across the lake from Flores at the town of San Miguel.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan Tours

Why is caravan tours still going to Guatemala when it is so dangerous there? Both the US and Canada have travel advisories against visiting there due to the high crime and murder rates. I would love to visit Guatemala, but am scared to death of what may happen there. It is very unsafe---even for tourists. How can Caravan Tours guarantee our safety?

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravan Tours

Caravan pulls out when they feel it is too dangerous; notice they no longer go to Mexico. Yes, there are parts of Guatemala that are unsafe. The same can be said for the US and undoubtably Canada. Our Caravan guide told us what was safe and unsafe to do and we followed it and never felt unsafe once. Well, I don't count my bout of vertigo descending from Temple IV.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravan Tours

I know you posted this a year ago, but I wanted you to know we just got back from a Caravan tour to Guatemala yesterday. We felt very safe the entire time. We enjoyed ourselves. It was a very good tour.

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravan Tours

Thank you so much. I am glad you had a good time.

Loxahatchee, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravan Tours

We are planning on taking a Caravan Tour of Guatemala, in Feb. 2014. We are very concerned about our safety in Guatemala. The most recent post, here, was back in January. Can anyone provide some updated feedback? Also, any advice on which airline has the best prices (we're in FL). Thanks so much!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caravan Tours

I'm also thinking about Guatemala this winter. I haven't been so don't have firsthand experience, but I think for the most part in many places, the areas tourists are likely to visit are generally safe. There is always the exception and there are always people who stray into areas or do things that are not the safest choices. Since Mexico was also mentioned in this forum in terms of safety, I think this, too, is a matter of where you go in the country and what you do. I go to Mexico almost every year -- to Yucatan and the Bajio region -- both safe and I've never had a problem. I felt safer walking in the historic center of Merida at night, for example, than I would in many American cities.

8. Re: Caravan Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 05:15