We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
419 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

We want to fly Into Guatamala City then go from Antigua, Tikal, Copan then Roatan. We are flexible as te the order of the cities. Reading TA posts, I have not figured out the best order to do these places. I know that we want to start in Guatamala City and end in Roatan, the rest is flexible. Also, how do you suggest we go from place to place? I have checked air travel and it is very expensive. Right now I am checking into bus travel but the sites are all in Spanish.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

The order you have listed (Guate-Antigua-Tikal-Copan-Roatan) is workable. Some long bus rides, some back tracking, but workable. Even first class bus service in Guate is quite inexpensive. For example, about Q65 (US$8.33) from Guatemala City to Rio Dulce (about 5 hours). Litegua is one of the better bus lines here. See www.litegua.com. Taxi's are not unreasonable either. For example, last time I took a taxi from Puerto Barrios to Rio Dulce it was about Q350 as I recall (about US$45)...not bad for a 1+ hour taxi ride.

What language did you expect Guatemalan bus sites to be in? : ) Google translate is pretty good.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Dulce
Rio Dulce
111 Reviews
Guatemala
Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

Thank you for your response. How long is the bus ride from Antigua to Tikal? Is the area around Tikal safe to visit by bus. When we were in Belize a few years ago, we were told the border area was not safe and advised not to go to Tikal. We regret missing that experience.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

I agree about the order. You'd have to shuttle from Antigua to the bus station in Guatemala City and bus from there - figure 8-9 hours. The night buses are popular, though I haven't been tempted; if you can swing, it fly up and bus back through Rio Dulce. There are incidents on the road around Tikal now and then but wild horses couldn't keep me away from that place. I spent a few days ruins hopping with archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz last summer and it was a highlight of my trip. www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

Loads of photos and recommendations below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Mentioned in this post
Rio Dulce
Rio Dulce
111 Reviews
Guatemala
Central America
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

It's a long bus ride from Antigua to Tikal and probably at least two bus changes.

First, Antigua to Guatemala City. This is only about an hour and you can just book a taxi or tour shutt shuttle at a reasonable cost.

Second, Guate City to Rio Dulce (Fronteras). I don't know of buses that just run to direct from Guate to Flores, but there might be one or a tour shuttle that does. So, typically you would transfer in Fronteras (main town on the Rio Dulce). to a bus going to Flores (closest significant town to Tikal...and a beautiful place). The Rio Dulce is a great place to visit, so you could break up your trip a bit and spend some time on the Rio.

Third, shuttle to Tikal itself. Your hotel can typically arrange the shuttle. There are also a couple of lodging options in and around Tikal, but I like Flores better.

Give yourself a minimum of a full day at Tikal. It is spectacular. Hiring a guide is worthwhile, certainly for your first visit.

There have been some problems in the past along the Western border of Belize. Also around Tikal. I have not heard of anything recently, but don't live in that area so don't follow it closely, I suggest you check an authoritative site like the US Consulate who tracks such such events. There are incident reports of all reported incidents involving US visitors on their site. Probably info on any recent events here on TA or other travel sites too.

If you are concerned about overland travel security then there are flights to Flores from Belize City. And, I think there are still charter flights available out of Guate City, but am not familiar with them. I've traveled extensively all over Guatemala for years and have never had a problem, but it does happen.

Keep in mind too that most Belizeans are terrified of Guatemala (I live in Guatemala and used to lived in Belize so I've seen it from both sides), although most have never been there, and are not likely to be the best source of objective info about Guate.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Dulce
Rio Dulce
111 Reviews
Guatemala
Belize
Belize
Central America
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

Thank you again!!!

6. Re: Antigua to Copan then Flores or Flores then Copan???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:17