We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to be in Lake Atitlan

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to be in Lake Atitlan

Hi there! We are a group of six who are in our thirties and very active. This will be our first trip to Guatemala. I am having a hard time deciding where we should stay on Lake Atitlan. I initially thought Panajachel but now am confused with San Pedro and Santa Clara. We would like a bit of nightlife but mostly culture and activity. I understand we can easily visit the other towns but is there one you would recommend for our base? Thanks so much!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to be in Lake Atitlan

San Pedro is my favorite, though mainly because I go often and have friends and connections there. I often stop for a night coming or going in Panajachel which can be a good base for shopping and exploring. I've listed my favorite hotels in those areas below. Happy trails!

In Panajachel: Mario's Rooms 7762-2370 (dial 011 502 if calling from the US, don't expect English)

In San Pedro La Laguna:

http://hotel-sakcari.com/ and http://www.mikasohotel.com/ - both good locations near each other on the lake; Mikaso has a beautiful share kitchen if you're interested in that and larger deck areas; Sakcari has garden areas.

My photo collections are here

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

with links to my blogs, travelogues, and review sites on the main page of each collection - the 2012 photos and blog might be of the most interest. Have a great trip!!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to be in Lake Atitlan

Depends of course on what you like and Atitlan has a range of options. If you want to be in the middle of tourist activity then Panajachel is the place for you (its not for me: I call it "Pana-hell").

San Pedro, as suggested, is a nice compromise -- a bit of activity without the tourist hassles of Pana...and good coffee too (surprisingly hard to find in the land of awesome coffee becuase most of it is exported).

San Maros is the funky new agey yoga venue -- interesting village and some good places to stay and eat.

We really like San Juan, which we discovered quite by accident while looking for San Pedro the first time, very few tourist there just a nice quiet local village.

3. Re: Where to be in Lake Atitlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:17