We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very rough itinerary

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Very rough itinerary

I am just starting my research into a possible Guatemala trip, so I apologize in advance if this is a silly question! So far, the places we are interested in are:

Antigua

Atitlan

Tikal

Livingston

I listed them in the order than seems to make travel/ logistical sense, based on flying into Guatemala City and out of San Pedro Sula.

Is my order correct or does it make more sense to switch any/ all? Also, about how much time should we stay in each place? We do not want to be constantly on the road but this will likely be our only trip to Guatemala, so I want to see a lot. We are comfortable with a total trip of 7-10 days. Possible or very hectic?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very rough itinerary

If you have ten days, and you fly to Tikal, I think it's doable -- except I'm not sure about the logistics for getting to San Pedro Sula from Livingston. Any less time and your spending most of your time in buses and shuttles and just doing "drive-bys" of the sights.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very rough itinerary

Thanks, DC. I only said flying out of San Pedro Sula because it's closer, but if the logistics make it difficult, perhaps not.

So then what if we assumed flying in & out of GC? Still doable, switch up the order?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very rough itinerary

Fly in and out of GUA - San Pedro Sula would add transition challenges I wouldn't want to add for a quick trip.

With 7 days I'd leave out Livingston - adds lots of time enroute and you won't have much time to enjoy it. Also, it doesn't make my list of top 100 places in Guatemala. In fact I might leave it out even with 10 days - the other places on your list are that awesome.

Can you afford to fly 1 or both ways to to Flores (for Tikal)?

RIS
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very rough itinerary

Having just recently returned from 10 days in Guatemala, including several in the Rio Dulce-Livingston region, I have to respectfully disagree with the comment from "hopefulist" about it not being in her top 100 places to see. (And this is from someone who relied on her posts to help plan our amazing first time visit to the country.) Livingston is a treat to walk around and explore, with it's unique mix of Garifuna, Afro-Caribbean and Maya cultures. The small town is full of colorful streets, shops and people. But more importantly, the hour long boat trip down the Rio Dulce canyon to get there is totally amazing and other-worldly. You will remember it as a highlight of your time in the country. Other things we enjoyed in Rio Dulce included the Hacienda Tijax jungle walk, (read the TA reviews!), and swimming in the hot springs. The whole area is so wonderful and unique, as you travel by water taxis to get from place to place. For places to stay, check out Tijax and Tortugal - thatched hut properties right on the water. BTW, the bus route from Guate City to Tikal goes right through Rio Dulce so it's possible to work a couple days there into your itinerary. Whatever you decide, have a great adventure in an incredible country. We can't wait to return!!

Mentioned in this post
Rio Dulce
Rio Dulce
111 Reviews
Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very rough itinerary

RIS: I'm truly happy you enjoyed the area - I have, too, in the past. Here are a few favorite photos from my 2007 visit:

flickr.com/photos/…

You can't disagree that the area didn't make MY top 100 places in Guatemala list since it's didn't, but you can add it as 1 to your own list. ;-)

With only 7 days I'd still recommend Antigua, Atitlán (my favorite place on earth aside from my own home), and Tikal. Adding Rio Dulce/Livingston means at least 2 nights (even if you're only doing the day trip), leaving only 5 nights for 3 other places; they'd be spending more than half their days on the road and less than half enjoying and exploring.

Also to RIS: Have you been to Belize? For me, the Garifuna towns on the southern coast of Belize are so much more colorful and interesting and friendly; I think that's part of the reason Livingston isn't my favorite. And when you've returned to Guatemala a dozen times to visit new areas, who knows? Maybe you'll 100 favorite places list will fill in differently than you think. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
RIS
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very rough itinerary

I do agree that a 7 day trip length is not long enough for all four destinations on "majesty's" itinerary. 10 days could be doable. And point well taken about your top 100 places, "hopefulist." Perhaps I should have said I was "surprised" Rio Dulce/Livingston didn't make the cut, rather than "disagreeing." In any event, you as a destination expert and me as a first timer can emphatically agree that Guatemala is a country incredibly rich with pleasures for the senses. Therefore, making decisions about where to spend a limited amount of travel days becomes quite challenging.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Dulce
Rio Dulce
111 Reviews
Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very rough itinerary

It sure does! Even knowing I'll be heading there year after year as long as I'm able, I'm still resigned to not see the majority of the country. Happy trails!

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very rough itinerary

I didn't realize I had received more replies - thanks & sorry for delay!

I am just really overwhelmed because I want to see everything but have limited time!

I definitely am hoping to fly to/ from Flores. I know there is a small airline that does the flight. The name escapes me but I did check their website and couldn't figure out the price - any idea?

9. Re: Very rough itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:19