We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central America Trip - Help!!!

london
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Central America Trip - Help!!!

Hi,

I am aiming to go to central america for 3 weeks. I know this isn't a long time at all!! But it is all I have...can anyone help with an itinerary / where i really MUST see / what countries I can miss out? I can be flexible where I fly into and out of (though ideally fly into somewhere north and work down rather than the other way). Please help!!

Thanks

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

Most of us here could spend three weeks in Guatemala alone and still have things we'd like to do but couldn't. The main things would be Antigua, Tikal, Lake Atitlan, and Chichicastenango.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

Guatemala is my favorite and I agree with Craig that there's so much on offer, 3 weeks isn't too much. If you want to include some blue water time, it combines well with either Honduras or Belize. I'd fly into Guatemala and out of Belize, I think: Antigua, Atitlán/Chichi, Tikal/Flores, then east into Belize for caving, hiking, snorkeling, beach time.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Edited: 08 March 2013, 21:20
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

This site can can very useful for planning a trip to guatemala

www.passplanet.com/guatemala

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

How about guati for ten days,Antigua,Tikal and Atilan.Then fly to Managua for ten days,Granada,Omitepe and San Juan.

troy, MI
Level Contributor
35 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

You did not say if you are taking round trip flight to same location, or one leg here and one leg there. What is your budget? Are you traveling alone or with a group?

I think all of this is important if one can help you.

troy, MI
Level Contributor
35 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

On a budget... you can do round trip to Cancun and stay in Playa del Carmen (short bus ride- many affordable and quaint hotels)... see Tulum/Chitzen Itza, and perhaps the shows there. Take a bus from there to Belize, pay a few bucks for a tour of the city, see if you can stay at one of the islands off the coast, take a bus to Tikal, visit Flores, then take a bus to Guatemala City and shuttle to Antigua. Plan the rest of your trip from Antigua with the many tour agencies there. Fly back to Cancun if you can afford it...

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

I'd suggest 2 weeks Guatemala and one week either Belize or Nicaragua.

(days not counting travel days)

GUATE - Lake Atitlan/Chichi (4 days), Antigua (3 days), Tikal (2 days) then by road to:

BELIZE - San Ignacio (1 day), Caye Caulker (5/6 days) or fly to:

NICARAGUA - Granada, Omotepe (as recommended above - 3 days in each) fly home from managua!

8. Re: Central America Trip - Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:15