We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

Santa Cruz...
1 post
Save Topic
4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

Hello, 3 of my friends and I are going to spend one month in Guatemala from mid June to mid July.

So far, we have decided to go straight to Antigua from the airport and spend 5 nights there.Definitely want to climb the Pacaya volcano. From there we would go to Lake Atilan for about 6 nights. One of those days we will venture to the Chi Chi Market. After that, we want to eventually make our way to see Flores/Tikal, Lanquin, Semuc Champey, Rio Dulce and Copan.

We'll have around 16 days to distribute through to those following places. How long should we spend in each of them? And in what order would be the best after the lake?

Are there places we need to see that I did not list above in the short amount of time we have?

Any suggestions on transportation, Hostels, essential items you don't think of until you get there? Should I bring a sleeping bag? or do the hostels provide sheets? Any places to avoid?

We are two 19, one 20 and one 22 year old females backpacking on a low budget but still wanting to do and see as much as possible! Any tips in general would be very helpful!

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

My best advice is to travel really light - just a loosely-filled carryon each. I'd keep your itinerary flexible. For example 5 days might seem like a lot in Antigua or you might like another place so well you want to stay longer and leave something out. My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
81 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

It seems like you want to hit all the touristic spots, which is great. Just remember a lot of them will be over priced. A lot of Guatemalans take advantage of an accent when speaking Spanish. You should look into similar experiences and not as touristic; for example at the lake. I know Panajachel is the top touristic place to stay but you might have a cheaper experience in San Pedro or Santiago (look into the other lake towns each offers different things). I think doing this will cut back on your budget for some locations and will allow you to definitely visit those places that dont have substitutes. Like I said the spots you mentioned are touristic, is that what you want to do? Maybe see if there are places more into your liking, just because they are popular or a guide book's "must" doesn't mean you will enjoy it. Also you will be coming around wet season so this might hinder some of your locations. Again research and of course more specific questions will help. Good luck on planning and executing your trip.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

That seems like a lot of time in Antigua. From Antigua/GC, you'd go Copan, RD, Flores, Semuc. Or the other way around. Lake Atitlan and Chichi can be done after Antigua, or you can put it off for the last part of the trip. Seems like you'd be spending a lot of time in transit if you're intent on getting to all those places.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

This site is an excellent source of information www.passplanet.com/guatemala

5. Re: 4 Young Females + 1 month in Guatemala. Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:16