We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala City or Antigua?

NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala City or Antigua?

Hello,

I'm going to be traveling to Guatemala from Nov. 29 - Dec. 4 with my girlfriend, and I'm trying to decide if we should book a hotel in Guatemala City or Antigua. The plan is to use wherever we stay as our base to book day trips from either through the hotel or the internet. I'm not sure if more tour operators do pick ups/drop offs from Guatemala city, or if it's about the same. I'm hoping that booking last minute day tours is sufficient. Group tours are OK, though we'd prefer to find a private tour operator. We're not sure which tours to do yet, but are definitely interested in doing a volcano hike, maybe some birding, and checking out some ruins (day trip to Tikal if time/budget permit).

Safety is important as I will be carrying a pretty expensive camera/lens, so I want to make sure we stay in a fairly safe area.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Ben

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

It sounds to me that with interests Antigua would be a better choice. It is easy to walk around and the tourism opportunities and operaters are easier to access there - it is quite an attractive town. Guatemala city has a lot to do but is not what many people would call "attractive". Also traffic is a serious issue.

NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

Sounds like that's definitely the case, that we'd prefer Antigua. I keep seeing tour operators whose sites say "pick up from Guatemala City hotel" which is the main reason for my concern. If you happen to know of any Antigua based tour operators, please let me know. Thanks for your reply!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

Definitely Antigua.

La Libertad, El...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

Antigua!

I have one rule when traveling anywhere in the world: Do NOT travel with anything you would hate to lose!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

I don't think I could say it any better than #1 did.

BC
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

Guatemala City is huge. Getting in and out of the city takes a lot of time, especially in the rush hours.

A day trip to Tikal is possible, but certainly not recommended if you can stay overnight. For this trip, flying to Tikal, it would be better to be staying overnight in Guatemala City, close to the airport. The Tikal Inn coordinates day trips and overnight trips.

7. Re: Guatemala City or Antigua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:20