We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We loved Guatemala!!!

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
1 post
Save Topic
We loved Guatemala!!!

Overall, as I start my travel journey through the years I am very satisfied with Guatemala and Honduras. I traveled with Gate 1 Travel and they really took care of us. When ask why Guatemala and Honduras, I told family and friends it is somewhere different that too many people fail to explore. Seeing the Mayan ruins of course is the main attraction. I was so amazed at the quality and simple beauty of them. Through Gate 1 Travel we traveled for 11 days through many parts of Guatemala that the average tourist don't get to see. We explored the Livingston coast line, the large Lake Atitlan, and attended the fast pace Chichicastenango market. We stayed in Guatemala City which is almost similar to major cities in the US. Staying in Tikal was amazing because we were very close to some of the most famous Mayan temples and sites. Copan, Honduras was a very small town that added a safe and enjoyable night life. Trust me if you take a trip to Guatemala or Honduras you would be highly impressed and scratch a lot off your personal bucket list.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We loved Guatemala!!!

Glad you had a good trip.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We loved Guatemala!!!

I am planning a visit in February. How safe was it? It may be me and my 19 year old daughter.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We loved Guatemala!!!

Re safety read the threads on this subject here.

Bottom line: as long as you use common sense and dont get involved in drug trade, politics, gangs or illicit affairs then you are unlikely to have any trouble in Guate.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We loved Guatemala!!!

Thank you and will do.

BC
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We loved Guatemala!!!

Devona, I went earlier this year for nine weeks with my 18 year old daughter, also did Chiapas and some other spots in Mexico.

While Mexico is safer and we would stay out very late at night and walk everywhere there, we didn't have any problems in Guatemala (well only one small thing and we managed to avoid getting robbed). I read a lot prior to our trip about safety precautions there and basically we were cautious at night time, when we tried to stay on busy streets when we were walking. We had a great trip, I am sure that you will too.

6. Re: We loved Guatemala!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:21