We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping on tours

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
tipping on tours

We'll be on a Caravan tour at the end of this month. My question to anyone who's been on a tour--is it okay to tip the guide in US dollars?

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping on tours

It can be inconvenient for locals to get dollars exchanged, if the bills have even the slighest damage the bank will reject them. Better to tip in Q.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
536 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping on tours

Thank you.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping on tours

I always have nice crisp bills on me, because the banks won't take damaged bills from me either. So I generally tip in dollars. No one's ever asked for quetzales instead.

Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping on tours

My general guideline is if you pay for tour or meal in dollars than it is okay to tip in dollars. If you are asked to pay in the local currency then tip in the local currency. Again, always have bills in good condition if using US bills.

Using this as a guideline, I would tip my main guide, the one who is with you all the time and you paid for when you paid for your tour, in dollars. Local guides, especially in rural areas, I would probably tip in quetzales unless they worked directly for a larger local company that accepts US dollars.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping on tours

I know lots of guides in Antigua, and I've never heard anyone gripe about getting a tip in dollars. Sometimes it's even cooler because it's just that more exotic.

Another nice thing that guides (at least outdoor guides) appreciate is gear, so if you see them admiring your nice windbreaker or dry-wicking shirt or shoes and it looks like it might fit them and you're willing to part with it, they LOVE that. It's really hard to find that stuff in Guatemala, unless you have a lot of money to buy it new, or a lot of patience and free time to sift through the used clothing "pacas" at the back of the market.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping on tours

How much USD or quetzals do you tip?

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping on tours

Caravan's tour packet includes the info on the suggested amount- I believe it's $4-5 a day for the guide and $2-3 a day for the bus driver.

8. Re: tipping on tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 06:22