We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

Hi,

Are there ATMs at GC airport that are commonly used by people landing into the country? I've a copy of the recent lonely planet (Sep '13) and they list 'safe' ATMs in GC. They mention a handful of machines through out the city but only mention a currency conversion desk at the airport.

I don't plan on bringing any Q with me so I'll need access to cash as soon as I land.

A google map featuring recommended/discouraged locations would be a god send at the moment.

Thanks

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

I live in Guate and have never had a fraud issue here, but know those who have. When in Guate City, I usually use ATMs in the major hotels or malls in Zona 10 (Holiday Inn and Torres de Gemini mostly) I have used the ATMs in the airport, but that was ages ago.

I try to use the same ATMs for the same amount consistently so that fraud activity is obvious.

"Cinco B" is the most common ATM network and it has interfaces to most international networks.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 14:31
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,231 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

The transportation providers will all take US dollars in case it's easier for you to change a few pounds to dollars in the UK before you come over rather than add that extra hassle at the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

BZ_sailor

Thanks, I will definitely take out the same amount of money each time.

I know fraud issues aren't a guarantee but there does seem to be certain ATMs identified as being problematic while others have been identified recently as being perfectly fine (like the ones you mention above). I was just hoping that the first one I come across at the airport would be known as a 'safe' one.

hopefulist

Well that's good to know. I will be bringing some dollars with me but I'd prefer to use them as a backup as opposed to as soon as I walk out of the airport. Given that I'll be travelling straight to Antigua where I believe there is more concern regarding withdrawing cash I was hoping I got withdraw a few days worth of Q to get me by until I get to Pana where I know there are some better options.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

There usually has been a 5B ATM at the airport as you move through immigration towards baggage claim and the exit. The Citi Bank website indicates that there is a Citi ATM on level one by the exit and also one on level 3. I've used the 5B ATMs at the airport, in Zone 10 of Guatemala City, and on the plaza in Antigua many times over the past ten years without problem, but some local friends had their accounts emptied a few years back after using the BAC ones.The currency conversion desk is more costly because of fees and less favorable exchange rates.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

I assume it would be difficult to tamper with a machine that lies between baggage reclaim and customs. That's where I was hoping there would be one. I think I'll aim to withdraw form there and can use my $ as a fall back if needs be.

Thanks.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

Definitely take US dollars cash with you! You get the best exchange for cash and all transport and hotels will accept US dollars as well as Quetzales. As for ATMs compromised....very hard to say, as they change regularly, although living in Pana and travelling regularly to Antigua and Guate, I've not heard of any recent problems!

If you can use ones that are inside or attached to a bank!! Plus remember that there is a limit of money you can take out a day, so if you can travellers cheques are still good to bring!! But make sure they are dollars TCs!! Banks will change them and other places (hotels, transport agencies) will take them too, charge is less than a card I believe and they are insured via your travel insurance!!

From a fellow Brit have a fabulous time, pretty much guaranteed and just make sure you make it to Lake Atitlan!!

7. Re: Uncompromised ATM at GC Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:17