We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

I am going to the Giant Kite Festival in Sumpango on Nov. 1. I want to share a shuttle departing Antigua on the morning of Nov. 1. Ideally, I would like to depart Antigua around 10:30 am. It is a one hour drive to the festival. I would like to share this with anyone who would like to go. It is lots of fun, and is great for families or anyone who has an interest in unique cultural events.

i can organize the shuttle, or I could ride with someone else. There will be two of us.:-). We will be continuing on to Panajachel afterwards, so we only need the ride one way.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Panajachel
Panajachel
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

Update. I have 4 people confirmed for my 10 passenger vehicle. We will leave Antigua around 10:00 am for Sumpango. Seats are available for only $6 per person, one way.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua, Guatemala
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

I might want to have a ride there too, are you also going back to Antigua? If yes at what time? And are there already people on the bus who want to spend the time together in Sumpango as well?

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

We have room in our shuttle from Antigua to Sumpango. It will start picking up passengers at 9:45 am in Antigua. The group of people (15 in total) can hang out together or explore on your own. Either way is fine. I am glad to let you walk around is us.:-).

It will be up to you and the other passengers to arrange for a ride back to Antigua. I am not doing this because I am continuing on to Panajachel. Worse case scenerio would have you taking a chicken bus or collectivo back. I can help you with this once we get to the day of the festival. I plan on leaving the festival at 3:00 pm.

You can contact me directly at kayakguatemala@gmail.com if you prefer. Lee

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Panajachel
Panajachel
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

Is anyone doing this again this year? I would love to join a shuttle group as I will be travelling alone!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

Yes we will be going again. We would be happy to add you to our shuttle. Are you going to be at Lake Atitlan??

Mentioned in this post
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
655 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

I would be heading over there from Antigua!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Luxembourg City...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

I would like to go this year. I could leave from Antigua (or alternatively from the capital) but not very early, I have a flight from Flores that arrives at 9 a.m. then would have to get to Antigua first. I think they actually start flying the big kites in the afternoon anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Flores
Flores
Peten Department, Guatemala
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

There will be plenty of transportation options for travel to Sumpango. It is a huge destination for this event. We will be going early this year, as we have another activity in the afternoon. Enjoy.

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

the big kites would never get off the ground! they weigh a lot and are put up for display, i saw one they were trying to put up with much help, many many people and it fell over, luckily no one was hurt.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sumpango Giant Kite Festival

If you have room I would love to catch a ride. Is it one way again?