We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

Hello-

My wife and I are planning a last minute trip to Guatemala to help in an orphanage. I feel guilty worrying about this, but I am concerned somewhat about safety. The orphanage is Dorie's promise in zone ten of Guatemala City. I have checked the forums and it seems like for every post I find that says zone ten is safe, there is another that says the city is filled with outlaws.

So, if we spend our entire time in zone ten (or venture out of zone ten only with a local resident), do you think we will be safe and feel comfortable? Is it dangerous to ride in cars in Guatemala? I am reading stories of robberies at red lights.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

Zone 10 is the safest part of the city. You should be OK there.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

Z10 is a very upscale and safe part or town. Very unlikely you will have any trouble there, even at night. We walk in Z10 at night often and have driven all over Guatemala with zero problems.

Not that bad things cant happen, but most of the crime in Guatemala does not involve tourists. pYes, there are plenty of "outlaws" in Guate, but most of them are not interested in tourists....rival gang members maybe, but tourists no.

Ironic that you are worried about this with your venue listed as Philidelphia....have you looked at Philly crime stats!? Among the worst in the USA. Think I will stay here in Guate where it is "safe". ;-)

Edited: 15 November 2013, 01:34
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

I wish you could give the name of those forums or paste what you've been reading because I've never seen such a thing. While it's true that crime rate in guatemala is high, most of the crime is drug related no different than what happenes in the US around rundown areas and housing projects. I agree with BZ sailor as far as I know tourists are not targetted by criminals in guatemala. Of course you have to take the normal precautions just like in any big city nowadays. I'm sure you've been reading the State Department Travel Advisory. But if you watch your local news and the "The First 48" on A&E you'll see that crime statistics in the US don't match reality. Because poticians and chiefs of police cook the books in order to guarantee their reelection/jobs.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

You will have a safe and rewarding experience, and enjoy Guatemala City. Many visitors are aprehensive prior to their trip, and wonder what they were worried about after their return. Please let us know how your trip went upon your return. Safe Travels.

USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

thank you everyone.

6. Re: Trip to help in Guatemala Orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18