We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling by car with a dog through Central South America

Whistler, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling by car with a dog through Central South America

Hi, My boyfriend and I are planning a trip through central south america going through Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama. We are thinking of bringing our dog along aswell. Just wondering if any one has any advice in regards to boarder crossing with pets, quarantine issues and any costings that they know of?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling by car with a dog through Central South America

Is this a real idea? Or brought on by LaBatts? Dog aside.. how do you plan to get from Central to South America? I am totally against animal cruelty so I'd encourage you to leave the dog at home. Crossing borders is relatively straight forward. You should have a vetenary certificate with all shots up to date and translated into Spanish. BUT DON'T. Many/most hotels won't take pets. Lots of local dogs roaming free that are territorial. NO, your dog doesn't love new sights. Getting your car across borders will be harder than the dog. Getting your car to South America is very difficult and expensive. I've done the run through Mexico, Central America and South America several times. Never by car.because I know the issues. If you want to make the trip without a dog I can give lots of pointers if it seems like you are serious.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
780 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling by car with a dog through Central South America

Agree it's a terrible idea to bring the dog for the kind of trip you describe. If you could stay in one place for the entire time and rent a house or apartment where the dog could escape the heat and sun, then it would just be a bad idea.

3. Re: Traveling by car with a dog through Central South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:17