We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coban and Tikal or Tikal and Caye Caulker?

Portland, Oregon...
7 posts
Save Topic
Coban and Tikal or Tikal and Caye Caulker?

Hi There!

Me and my boyfriend are traveling to Guatemala in February for 2 weeks. Obviously, we are going to spend a couple days in Antigua and also make it to Tikal at some point but I can't decide whether we should go Antigua, COBAN and then Tikal or if we should go Antigua, Tikal and then into Belize and visit Caye Caulker. It costs about the same to fly out of Guatemala City and Belize City. And its a shorter trip to Belize City than it is back down to Guat City.

Honestly, I just wanna be able to hike and see as much wildlife as possible. But I also don't want to spend two full days trying to get from Coban to Tikal and then Tikal back to Guatemala City if its not worth it or if Coban just ends up being a bunch of tours.

I feel like every time I try to find a spot for hiking and gorgeous landscapes….its just a bunch of "tours" which we are SO not into.

Sorry this is so much info, I just can't decide which is more worth it.

We are both in our mid 20's and have traveled quite a bit. On a moderate budget (sense its only 2 weeks) and really like to do hikes and trips on our own….dislike tours…for the most part.

ANY help or info or advice or opinions would be so so appreciated. Thank you!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coban and Tikal or Tikal and Caye Caulker?

I would do some hiking around Lake Atitlán (favorites of mine are the Panajachel Reserve and the hike from San Juan La Laguna to the top of Indian Nose) and hire a great guide to take you around at Tikal and Yaxhá - you're likely to see more wildlife there than any place else you'd visit in Guatemala and Belize. Allow a few days for caving in western/central Belize before heading to Caulker, then fly out from Belize City.

Fly from GC to Flores (for Tikal) if you can swing it, or consider an overnight bus to save a day and the cost of a night's hotel. The trip would look something like this:

GUA to Antigua for 2 or 3 nights

Head to Lake Atitlán for 3 or 4 nights

Back to Guatemala City and fly (or overnight bus) to Flores; spend at least 1 night in the park at Tikal.

Head by road to western Belize; stay in a jungly lodge for 2 or 3 nights for hiking, canoing, caving.

Head to Caye Caulker for the rest of your stay with a stop at the zoo enroute.

I have a website I use to put together options to share when I'm trip planning for groups or family - activities, lodging, lots of links. Here are posts that might interest you. Keep in mind that some of the cultural activities were set up specifically for my groups but most of the rest is on offer.

…blogspot.com/2011/09/1st-stop-antigua.html

…blogspot.com/2011/09/lake-atitlan.html

…blogspot.com/2012/01/peten-and-belize.html

Happy trails!

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Coban and Tikal or Tikal and Caye Caulker?

Me and my boyfriend?-really it should read- My boyfriend and I. Also the word sense should be replaced with-since.

3. Re: Coban and Tikal or Tikal and Caye Caulker?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18