We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun and Quick Trip to Guatemala

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Fun and Quick Trip to Guatemala

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Guatemala. My traveling partner and I had a wonderful time. The trip which was through Gate 1 Travel was very well organized. We flew into Guatemala City. The next day we drove to the beautiful town of Antigua. We toured several sites in the city in the morning. In the afternoon we drove to the quaint town of Chichicastenango. This town has a very colorful and lively Mayan market which was lots of fun. The shopping was great and interacting with the local people was quite interesting. The following day we did a short excursion to beautiful Lake Atitlan. I would have loved more time exploring this beautiful lake. Another time, perhaps. On last day of our tour there were several optional tours. We opted to climb Pacaya, an active volcano. The hike was a little strenuous but worth it. The views from near the top (for safety reasons people aren't allowed to go to the top) were spectacular. Our visit to Guatemala was jam- packed with activities. Although short, we had a great time and left me wanting to return to Guatemala!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun and Quick Trip to Guatemala

Thanks for posting a report! I hope you get to return, too - maybe stay put at the lake for a week and visit the Tikal and Yaxhá Maya sites.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun and Quick Trip to Guatemala

We are going to spend a similar amount of time (6 days) in Antigua and are trying to figure out the best use of our time. Basically, mirroring yours. Can you share the details of the Atitlan day as well as the hike to Pacaya? Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun and Quick Trip to Guatemala

We were only in Antigua for the morning. We visited the central plaza and did a walking tour of the city. That afternoon, we left for Chichicastenango and spent the night at a very quaint Mayan Inn. The market at Chichi was hectic because of the vendors, but lots of fun. The following day, we left Chichi and headed to see Lake Atitlan. We stopped at a scenic out look for photos and then drove to the village of Punajachel on the lake for lunch and some great shopping. I would have liked to spend some more time in the area around the lake. It was very lovely. Clark Tours does offer a tour which takes you by boat to visit some Mayan villages across the lake from Punajachel.

The tour to the Pacaya Volcano was also arranged through Clark Tours. We were picked up from our hotel in Guatemala and taken to a little village at the base of the volcano. The total hike round trip was about three hours. It was strenuous but well worth it for the vistas. If you don't or can't hike, horses are available for rent as are hiking sticks. Near the top of the volcano is a little shop that sells jewelry made from the lava to benefit victims of the previous eruption. I hope this helps you plan your trip.

4. Re: Fun and Quick Trip to Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Guatemala