We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Hello fellow trip advisors :-)

I'm currently planning on visiting Guatemala in late February. I'm flying into GUA and looking to hit these areas / destinations: 1) Pacaya Volcano, 2) Antigua, 3) Lago di Atitlan, 4) Semuc Champey, 5) Lanquin, 6) Tikal, 7) Coban.

Do you think it's possible to fit in all of the above within 8.5 days? If so, any recommendations on the order we do them? If not, any you would recommend above some of the others?

My boyfriend and I are super excited, and just want to get some proper planning in beforehand.

All the best,

Lyndsay

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
746 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

I'll let others with more experience answer in detail, but our upcoming trip in May will cover Flores/Tikal, Antigua and Lake Atitlan and we are staying 11 nights. You have WAY too much for 8 1/2 days. I say you get rid of 4,5 and 7.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

Deb's got it right. Drop those, and you have time to do the others with no problem. Otherwise, you're going to be on buses half your trip, and even then it would be difficult to do all seven.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

I had a feeling I was being too ambitious (to hit all, that is), appreciate your response!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

I agree with Deb and Craig. Still would be lots of ground to cover, but feasible. Order would depend on your specific arrival and departure times.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

Great, thanks all. We're arriving at GUA around 1pm and do not plan to go to Guatemala City (we're coming from NYC, so city life is what we're trying to escape ;-). Do you think it makes the most sense to go in this order: Antigua --> Lago di Atitlan --> Pacaya Volcano --> Tikal? Anywhere else that I'm not thinking of that you would specifically recommend (either as part of the above itinerary, or outside of it)?

Appreciate all the help! :-)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

The Pacaya trip is generally arranged from Antigua, a long half day. It generally makes more sense to me to do Tikal at the beginning or the end. You go head from GC to Flores (~1 hour from Tikal) by plane or bus; night buses are a popular option to save time/$. Happy trails!

7. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:18