We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

This is probably an odd question but I'm just curious if its okay to wear shoes like this or are Nike's considered too flashy which could bring unwanted attention or lead to robbery? These are the shoes we currently have and we don't want to have to buy more nondescript merrell's or something like that, but we don't want to attract unwanted attention either. What do you guys think?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

I've never heard of tourists in Guatemala being held up for their shoes.

Eureka, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

It happens in the inner cities of the U.S. all the time which is why I'm asking. But good to know you haven't heard about it happening in Guate..

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

SUCH a great question. I have never heard of anyone being held up for their shoes BUT I have heard of them going missing in hostels.

There's nothing worse than finding yourself barefoot, and nothing wrong with keeping your Keens or Nikes or whatever right under your bed at night.

Mixco, Guatemala...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

This used to be actually quite common in Guatemala around 10-15 years ago, before cellphones were a thing accessible to pretty much everyone.

It's been way too long since I last heard of anything similar, so at least on the streets you should be okay. However, if you're staying on a hostel just try too keep an eye on them :)

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,355 posts
1,167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

yes it's a odd question

of course you can wear them

come on, where do u think u r going

born2travel.it/…20eng.html

6. Re: Is it safe to wear expensive Nike shoes/boots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:19