We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

Pokhara
4 posts
Save Topic
ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

Aho hoy,

What would be the maximum withdrawal amount from ATM's in Lake Atitlan?

Also, can I live a simple/quiet existence on $500 a month up there?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time.

Flash

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

In Flores and Antigua I was getting Max 300 U.S last week

Mixco, Guatemala...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

I believe that depends on your card, I'm only able to get a max of Q.2000.- a day (roughly $250).

Also yes, $500 is almost double the minimum wage in Guatemala CITY. You should be covered with that, as long as the hotel you're in isn't expensive. Just remember that Atitlan is a place full of tourism and if you look like a foreigner then you will be overcharged by pretty much everything but restaurants that give you a receipt.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

Throughout Guate most ATMs limit you to Q2,000 per day per card. This is a limit set locally so is independent of card issuer or limits set on the card.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

Yes, 2000Q is the daily limit for ATMs here at the lake. You can also send money to yourself via various services to be picked up at BanRural which is sometimes cheaper (depending on how much you send). I disagree with the above comment about being overcharged for EVERYTHING. Yes, you will pay more for the lanchas (public boats) if you are a foreigner, but I've bought things at stores and the outside markets here by myself, but have also had local friends buy the same things - prices were the same. You just have to know how to speak Spanish and treat people with dignity and respect. Starting any transaction/interaction with a greeting ("buenos dias, buenas tardes," etc.) will go a long way. Extra points if you can speak some Tzutijuil (for the south side of the Lake).

Edited: 06 February 2014, 00:37
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

The standard ATM limit is 2000Q per transaction, but I have been able to "double dip" by using diffent ATM types. Most common is the yellow and blue C5, but if you use a different type of ATM you can get more.

The only time tourist get overcharged is on the launchas/ boat taxis. The captains to take advantage at times. The best defense is to KNOW how much the fare should be and hand over the correct change. The easiest way to get overcharged is to give the captain a 100 Q note for a 10 Q fare, and then ask "How much??".

You can go into any bank and change 100 Q notes for 5, 10, 20 notes. I recommend this for all my guests.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

And if you change money in the bank, don't let them give you a bunch of 100Q and (even worse) 200Q notes. No one ever has change! Ask for 20s and 50s. And since you're likely to get some large notes, break them where and whenever you can.

7. Re: ATM Maximum Withdrawal Lake Atitlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20