We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of hostels & tours in March close Easter?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Availability of hostels & tours in March close Easter?

Hi.

I was planning on flying from the U.S. to Guatemala City and going straight to Antigua on March 1, 2014 and then going back home on April 1, 2014. I am somewhat worried about my itinerary because Ash Wednesday is March 5, 2014, which is just 4 days after my arrival. (Although the next major holiday is not until Palm Sunday April 13.) I was planning on generally staying at places that are $10/night and upgrading to $25/night places if I feel travel weary. I was planning on doing lots of hikes, bike rides, going to ruins, etc., with guided tour groups. I was planning on spending about 6 days in Flores, 6 days in Aitlan and 18 days in Antigua. But, will it be possible for me to rent rooms during March and book trips with tour groups in March? Do I need to immediately book a room in Antigua from March 1 through March 9 to make sure I have somewhere to stay during Ash Wednesday? I have read some things that seem to suggest that there are non stop Easter activities in Antigua and possibly other cities through out March.

Of course, not to dwell on the negative, I am aware that the holidays surrounding Easter are an exciting time to be in Guatemala and I am looking forward to it.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of hostels & tours in March close Easter?

I wouldn't worry too much about lodging that much ahead of Semana Santa. I book Antigua ahead because I have a favorite hotel I return to every trip, but if you're willing to look around a bit if your 1st choice is full, you shouldn't have a problem finding something. Happy trails!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of hostels & tours in March close Easter?

Ash Wednesday is actually March 12 by my calendar. The months of March and April are spring break periods for schools in the US. Between the Semana Santa & Spring break is is slightly more busy than other times of the year. I would not hurt to plan ahead a bit.

To your advantage, Antigua has thousands of budget hotel rooms. Happy PLanning.

3. Re: Availability of hostels & tours in March close Easter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:17