We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barnsley
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

Hi there,

I'm after a bit of help. I'm currently in Antigua, Guatemala and have decided to fly out of Panama mid April. I now have almost 2 months to make my way there. I'm starting to read through some books and realising that there's probably not an obvious route to make my way down to Panama City.

First off, some questions on Guatemala, and what I shouldn't miss, and where to cross to Honduras.

I've only been to Antigua so far, but would like to go to Lago Atitlan, then potentially Semuc Champey, Livingston, Rio Dulce, then on to Utila. That would probably mean missing Tikal, as well as Copan. I've already seen some pretty cool ruins in Mexico, Cambodia, and will be heading to Machu Pichu later on this trip.

Does anyone have any not misses in Guatemala, and a potential route through to Panama, or at least in to Honduras?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Danny

Barnsley
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

Anyone got any input?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

Tikal is a don't-miss. It is unique, just as Chichen Itza and Machu Pichu. Can't advise on the rest; you are on a Guatemala page.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

Tica Bus runs all the way from Guate City to Panama City and you can get off and resume as you choose. Their major terminals are in the capital cities along the route.

Most direct Tica Bus route crosses into El Salvador first, not Honduras.

You've got a pretty good list of destinations for Guatemala. Tikial is impressive and travel to there is straight forward from Fronteras (Rio Dulce).

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

if your going to rio dulce...I would say make it up tikal..its worth it.

you can cross the border into honduras at corinto... its about an 1.5 hrs or less from rio dulce.

you can buses to get to to san pedro sula... then take a bus to la ceiba.... where you can take a ferry to utila.

hedman alas is a good bus company to use..

you can use tica bus when you want to go from honduras to Nicaragua.

5. Re: Guatemala-Hondurar-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:19