We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

I have seen numerous people suggest San Juan as a village to stay in around Lake Atitlan, but I am having a difficult time finding lodging options there. There will probably be 4 of us, and we prefer staying in vacation rental by owner type places rather than hotels, but understand that may not be much of an option in a less touristy place like San Juan. I would say we are most interested in mid-range lodging- not backpacker prices but not luxury resort prices either. Any suggestions?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

There's really not much more than the places reviewed on this site. But it's a short tuk-tuk ride from San Pedro, which has far more places to choose from.

Panajachel...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

Hi, San Juan la Laguna is a great place to visit, but not for staying. I strongly recommend you to stay in other places like Santa Cruz la Laguna, I know a variety of good vacation rentals there and Santa Cruz is located at 25 min from San Juan (by boat).

California
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

Agree with above. We stayed one night in San Juan last November. There were three hotels there. One was in the middle of their village which we did not look at. The other was on the right side while walking up the hill from the water taxi. No one answered. So we ended up at some eco lodge (forget name) which is the most expensive hotel there. We had to take a taxi. It was an adventure as the grounds in front were sinking into the lake. It was truly in the middle of nowhere and they did cook for us a meal. I would not recommend it. San Juan is good for 1/2 a day to see the woman's co-op which is where one can purchase beautiful items, more expensive than anywhere else but quality. It really is not a place for staying. There is a nice looking restaurant also half way up the hill near the hotel I was talking about, very clean but we did not eat there.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

Yes, unfortunately few tourists means few lodging options.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

I can highly recommend the Hotel Chi-ya, which is located between San Jan and San Pedro. While it is not exactly in downtown San Juan, it is an easy walk to either village. The rooms are spacious and the water is hot, the beds are comfy and the price is great. It may take a little while for the owners to reply. They are not great at emails, but dont let that keep you from booking rooms. You will love it once you arrive.

www.hotelchi-ya.com/

California
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

Kayak that looks very good. And the price is good.

7. Re: Lodging Recommendations for San Juan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16