We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

Hi guys :)

im planning to go to guatemala at around 01 to 22 oct,

How bad is my idea weather wise?

Also I'm thinking of maybe combining it with 1 week in cuba and 2 weeks more in GT.. what do you say? is it enough time or i'd better stick only with GT ?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

It's easy to spend 3 weeks just in Guatemala and you'd save $$ and days of travel if you stick to 1 spot. I like the Moon Handbook and Rough Guide for Guatemala. My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there.

Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

hi, thanks :) great photos, I surely don't need to see anymore to get myself more enthusiastic about it than i'm already am ;)

but what about the weather?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

I haven't traveled then but routinely visit during the summer months. I think you'd get some rain, either at night or - in the highlands - starting some days in the afternoon or evening; mornings will usually be gorgeous. Technically it's hurricane season so there's a slim chance a storm will sit on top of CA for a week and dump rain the whole time. Long treks and dirt roads might be more of a challenge if the area's getting a lot of rain; sometimes there are wash outs. In my opinion any time you can get down there is a good time to visit. I'm leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks split between Honduras and Guatemala, then home for 2 weeks and back for another month in Guatemala. :-)

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

October is still rainy season so lots of rain is possible. Varies depending on where in the country.

Do keep an eye on the forecast for severe weather. When tropical systems move inland they can dump huge amounts of rain resulting in flooding and landslides. Best to move to an area where these events are unlikely if you see one coming.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 14:02
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

The last time I was there at the end of October I hardly saw any rain. In fact they run their international cycling tour around the middle of the month. As mentioned above, the Hurricane season doesn't end til november and if a hurricane hits the country you can expect torrential rains. Otherwise normal afternoon showers should not keep you from moving around the country. This is a good source of imformation on the country www.passplanet.com/guatemala But regardless sof the season of the year you can always expect sunny and warm days all over the country.

6. Re: 3 Weeks in Guatemala at the beginning of october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:17