We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary

Madison, Wisconsin
8 posts
Save Topic
Help with my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary

Hello. Can I get some advice from you all re: my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary? I have the beginning and end figured out, but I am stuck in the middle. I am traveling solo 24 June-8 July, Flying into GC and out of BZE. Thanks much, Sherie

Day 1: Arrive in GC in p.m., go to Antigua

Day 2: Explore Antigua

Day 3: Explore Antigua

Day 4: Travel to Atitlan/San Marcos

Day 5: Atitlan/San Marcos

Day 6: Atitlan/San Marcos

Day 7: Travel back to GC, fly to Flores in p.m.; Unsure where to stay (in the park or El Remate)

Day 8: Tikal- Unsure where to stay (in the park or El Remate)

Day 9: unknown (El Remate -> Yax Ha or travel towards Belize)

Day 10: unknown

Day 11: Arrive in Caye Caulker

Day 12: Caye Caulker

Day 13: Caye Caulker

Day 14: Caye Caulker

Day 15: Caye Caulker -> Belize City, Fly home

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary

I've done Tikal 2 ways - the first time I stayed for 2 nights at the Jungle Lodge; the 2nd time I went for the day from just across the border in Belize. Benque, I think. El Remate is a lot closer but if I were you (and you dont mention strict budget) I would spend the night at one of the hotels in the park. It is much better to be there for the sunset, or sunrise, and before the tour vans pull in - not that there will be hoards in July, but still. Jungle Lodge was OK.

Katie Valk, who you can usually find on the Belize forum or at http://www.belize-trips.com can book you into one of the lodges if you can't do it yourself. I did this 11 years ago when it was impossible to reach them directly (and individuals supposedly often got bumped by groups), so she booked my flight from BZE to Flores, a transfer to the Jungle Lodge and 2 nights there. I can't remember what I paid but it was well worth it.

Im sure there's good info somewhere about buses from Tikal to Belize City, if they still exist. The bus company in Belize has gone through a lot of transition.

Have a great trip!

suitcaseready.com

Madison, Wisconsin
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary

Thanks, evening. I will likely stay in the park to see the sunrise tour. I am still deciding whether or not to then stay in El Remate or to venture up to the Cayo District before Caye Caulker. (Since I forgot to include it above... I am on a moderate budget ((I'm a teacher)) and have above average spanish-language skills). Anyone else have ideas? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary

Antigua is small. I would spend just two nights there and add extra day to the Lake. You need two nights at Tikal if at all possible, at least one in the park and the second at Flores which is closer to airport. Four nights in Caye Caulker is a lot but a good way to end the trip. Not much to do there but hang out, take a dip in the sea. And it will be very hot and humid.

4. Re: Help with my Guatemala-Belize travel itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16