We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

boston, ma
9 posts
Save Topic
seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

Hi,

Thinking of taking a vacation after a biz trip to Guatemala City in October. Any recommendations as to where to go for some fun and sun at the Sea? Is this even doable? Thanks!

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

Everything is within driving distance. You can drive to the Caribbean coast from the city in just over 4 hours. You can drive to the Pacific in even less. I'm going to Amatique Bay Marina & Resort (caribbean) on 7/25, after a week in Costa Rica. I'll get back here with my impressions.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

If you like deep-sea fishing... i suggest going to the Pacfic Side... theres a nice place called. Fins & Feathers.. its got great rooms & pool... but just a place to rest before fishing.. not on the beach.

You can catch sailfish, dolphin, & tunas... great 1 or 2 day getaway if your in Guatemala for business.

Highly recommend it!!!

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

Fastest route to the Pacific is to Puerto San Jose - about 1 1/2 hr drive from Guatemala City the Volcan Pacaya will light your way if you drive at night. The Hotel Playa Azul there is pretty nice - at least it's got air-con. Likin is there too and is a self-contained resort (it has been many years since I was there but it used to be quite nice). If you really want local flavor and are there on the weekend go down to Iztapa a few miles south of San Jose and hit the beach there - it is a narrow island about 2 to 300 yards off the mainland - a small boat will take you across. Here you will find a long row of thatched roof dance halls/hotels (well if you call a tiny room with a bunk a hotel) the price is right though - just a dollar or two. Each place has a small "restaurant". Here the locals swim all night and make love in the dunes after dancing to a jukebox or a local band. Holidays and weekends are packed so arrive early if you want a room (the rooms line the sides of each place, in the middle is the dance floor and tables and chairs with the kitchen on the inland side and the front open to the Pacific and the waves and a glorious breeze). I would stay at the Playa Azul and go down to Iztapa for a night of swimming and return to sleep at the Playa Azul myself. Take Mosquito repellent - it's a blast though - local contortionists, jugglers, and just a wee bit of drinking - try the Venado con Coca Cola.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

Hi I'm back!

Guatemala was great! Amatique Resort & Marina was lovely. I arranged tours right at the resort with Melvin, their tour guide. I told him where I wanted to go, listened to his suggestions, and then he rounded up more people to go to bring the cost down. It was usually 6-8 other guests. The swimming pools are really nice and the poolside restaurant is delicious. The beaches are not what you would expect from the carribean, but then again, it IS a bay beach. You can arrange to spend a day in the Belizean Cays for white sand. I was able to pick fruit right on property and no one tried to sell me anything while I relaxed. It is a secure property. The resort uses Ricardo as their taxi driver because he doesn't gouge the tourists and does speak some English. He accompanied us when he thought we might be less than safe, and for a few dollars will wait for you while you dip in the falls at Las Escobas or shop in Puerto Barrios. It's only a couple of hours from Quirigua and you can take a boat down the Rio Dulce from Amatique as well. We (my daughter[9] and I) went to the falls, Tikal, Tenamit river falls & missionary center, the hot springs, lagoon of flowers and the "cow cliff" on the Rio Dulce and Livingston. If you happen to have timeshare, Amatique is really affordable through Interval's Getaways. Give it some thought! We enjoyed it very much!

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: seaside resorts within driving distance of Guatemala City??

Thanks Chefbeth for your entry! Sounds like you had a really nice time! This hotel, the Amatique must be pretty new. I have to check this out. Is the old United Fruit Hotel (the one made of mahogany that is on the water near the pier) still open? They used to have the most incredible restaurant there - the Chateaubriand was a miracle! Too bad it has never been air-conditioned or I would have stayed there besides taking every meal there. It sounds like you really saw alot. I too want to do the Rio Dulce trip. There was no beach at all when I went several years ago (like 11 years ago). Quirigua was great like you say and I anjoyed Puerto Barrios, especially at night, but then I am a guy. I wonder if you noticed if it is possible to travel from Puerto Barrios to Belice by boat? I notice in the web site "Enjoy Guatemala" that there is a nice description of Amatique and a couple of nice pictures. It looks nice. So....I guess I just HAVE to go! Thanks again for your entry!