We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

I will be arriving late (11:40 PM) in Guatemala City Airport and wanna head out to Rio Dulce the next day.

Fuente Del Norte has a bus that leaves at 1:30 AM.

This will allow me to hit Rio Dulce in the morning, where I can chill and relax for the day..

Is it safe/OK to take a taxi or shuttle to Zona 1 and catch the bus at that time or sleep the night out at one of the hotels near the airport and take a bus in the morning :)

We have been in crazy cities in the world and a backpacker couple with not much wealth anyway :(. So, we are not usually afraid and very comfortable in new places (but always cautious)

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

Hi there, as far as I know the only overnight bus service in the country is offered by Autobuses del Norte and Linea Dorada to Flores/Tikal. And their last bus leaves around 9:30/10PM. You could stay at one of the B&B's around the airport and take

www.litegua.com the next day. They have better buses than Fuente Del Norte. Their terminal is at

16 calle and 9a Avenida in zone 1.They have their own nice and safe terminal, and confortable buses. Good luck.

Guatemala, Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

I think that the best for you is to stay overnight in one hostel near the airport and take the bus to Rio Dulce next morning, like this you can see the landscape during the trip. Is more cautious and you will be exhausted that night.

There are some hostels just near, or try www. lasorquideashostel.com They send a taxi to pick you up.

Good luck!!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

I'd get a few hours sleep and catch the 6:00 a.m. bus. I did that a few weeks ago and was in RD before 12:00.

Guatemala City...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

The Posada Belen Museo Inn is located a couple of blocks (13 calle A 10-30 zone 1) from the Litegua a 3 minutes walk and is a favorite stay for the yatch owners in Rio Dulce it is very clean and safe and they can help you get there easy if you have lugage or take the shuttle to Rio dulce from there. They are tour operators and had great reputation for many years. Stead of paying a taxi from the airport just walk to the station. Try to check at the fauna at 11st and 7ave it is fun a they have live singers.

5. Re: Arrive late in Guatemala City/ Transfer to Rio Dulce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 06:35