We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacaya Volcano

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Pacaya Volcano

Does any one know a tour company or a way to visit this Volcano from Guatamala city?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacaya Volcano

I'm not sure if they offer it, but you could try contacting Clark Tours: http://www.clarktours.com.gt

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacaya Volcano

Well keep in mind that tour companies basically only provide transportation to the park entrance. And from there you have to walk all the way to where you see the lava. www.youtube.com/watch… So, you're going to need good hiking shoes or other type of good shoes, because you can easly sprain an ankle walking back down. So, wear good shoes and a jacket. But it is definitely something worth of seeing to tell your friends you've been there and did roast some marshmallows on the lava. I also had Clark Tours in mind. But if not, you can always hire a cab to take you there. And you could probably negotiate to have him to come back to pick you up at certain time. There'll be kids and other people at the entrance trying to sell you walking sticks which you'll find useful. And if there is no other tourists, try to hire one of the kids to accompany you. I'm sure the hotel can recommend someone they can trust. The entrance is about 23 miles from guatemala city, off the pacific coastal highway. Don't forget your marshmallows.

Waupaca, WI
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacaya Volcano

When my husband and I were there about 6 years ago, we found tour company store fronts and posters all over Antigua offering services to climb Pacaya. We choose one that shuttled us over in a large bus with a group that climbed pretty much together, provided the entrance ticket and was guided by staff as at that time there was some concern about small groups being victimized by thieves and we didn't know spanish. I'm sure your hotel could recommend a company...Don't know if the situation is still the same but advice on climbing is similar: wear good shoes, if possible ankle high as ash grains and clinkers tend to get in low shoes. Definitely buy or rent sticks if you don't have your own, as the depth of the ash, steep slope and high winds are a real challange without one or two sticks. Also, I remember thinking I wish I had brought a thin pair of gloves to protect my hands as the clinkers were quite sharp. A fast way down is to just "ski" the finer ash...use a modified snow plow, lean back and let her go...!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacaya Volcano

Thank you.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacaya Volcano

I just booked it through my hotel in Antigua...they have AM an PM tours. I'd recommend the PM because you can't really appreciate the lava glow until the sun sets (which is absolutely stunning from the volcano)...make sure you have a good flashlight to get you back down in the dark though.

6. Re: Pacaya Volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 07:18