We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CellPhone Use in GC

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
CellPhone Use in GC

I've read somewhere on this board in regards to purchasing a sim card/cellphone to use in GC.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

I have the Att Surge phone.

Thank you in advance.

Joe

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
676 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

The GSM frequencies used in Guatemala are 850 and 1900. Assuming that your phone works on one or both of these frequencies (essentially all GSM phones in the USA but not those in Europe, Africa and Asia), and that it's not blocked by ATT, you can probably purchase a SIM card for a local service in Guate. Or, for about $25-35, you can purchase a basic phone and SIM card plus some airtime from one of the myriad cell phone offices in Guate after you arrive. It's likely to be much, much less expensive to use a local carrier (TIGO, Claro, or Movistar) than to pay ATT roaming charges.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

If you have an unlocked cell phone that you don{t care about losing or getting it stolen all you have to do is do what I did last week and do every time I come to guatemala. I bought a Movistar SIM card for Q25 )about3US) . That{s right you heard me right 3US dollars. And I also bought air time starting at Q50. Or you can buy the whole thing a brand new cell phone which sells for about US15 I think. My Movistar SIM card has worked fine throughtout the country. But on the Lonelyplanet they were telling me that Tigo, another provider which is a few dollars more, has better reception up in the highlands and away from GC. So, there you have it. You can call over the country, and any country in the world also at about 8 US cents a minute. You can buy a cell phone and air time just about anywhere in the country.Good luck.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
81 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

Personally I would recommend buying an inexpensive phone and air time in Guatemala. At the end of your trip you will be saving more money and lower the possibility of getting attacked for your "American" cell phone. The beautiful thing about Guatemala air time is that on special days you get double, triple, or even quadruple minutes. The way this work you buy Q100 (about $12 US) and you get whatever deal is on that day- if its triple you get Q300. Each minute is approximately Q1. So you pay for 100 minutes and get 300. The problem with this is that all companies have different promotions on different days. So if you want to take advantage of these deals you might have to stock up on your minutes and save them for the next couple of days. Since it’s usually 3 or 4 days between promotions. Another problem, or subject of discussion, is that some locals argue that if you use your minutes the day you got the triple, for example, promotion it will cost you Q3 instead of the Q1 it usually does. So some locals buy and stock up on promotions and don’t use any until the day after. Just remember that you have many options when it comes to communicating in Guatemala. If you think communicating on the telephone is going to be important to you then you want to see what best works for you.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

I bought one when I was in Antigua last summer. It's just easier, and It was only $25.

nyc
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

We're arriving in Guatemala on a Saturday and going immediately to Antigua. Where could we buy a phone and/or card in Antigua? On Sunday?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

I'm sure your hotel should be able to tell you where you can buy one. I bought mine about two years ago at a little shop which sells phones and air time for all three cell phone providers. You'll see the big Tigo sign outside. It is a few steps from la La Bodegona, a popular supermarket. a few blocks from the main square. They should be open on sundays.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
81 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

Most stores in Guatemala are multipurpose. So to buy a cell phone you can do that at a pharmacy or a major store chain. Your hotel gift shop might have some too, but it might be more expensive.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

Since I am a frequent visitor to Guatemala I bought a couple local phones for me and my family when we are in the country. As soon as I leave American Soil, I put my iPhone on airplane mode and leave it there for the entire time I'm in Guatemala.

The phones were only about $20 each. When I land in Guatemala we buy more time for about 25Q and load up all the phones. We can even call the US if we desire for only pennies a minute.

One thing I love about the Guatemalan prepaid phones is that when they run out of time I can still call my local friends. The phone places the call and lets them know I was trying to call them. Get this, they are then able to call me back and we can talk. What a nice feature for return trips to the country. I get off the plane and call my friend signaling that I have arrrived.

I suggest buying one or two phones and you can get them many places.

9. Re: CellPhone Use in GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2010, 05:16