We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money change in Guatemala

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Money change in Guatemala

All tours , hotels are quoted in USD. Even entrance fee listed in travel books are in USD. Is USD accepted for entrance fee as well? Is it only meal & small shopping use quetzal? (I don't want to change too much local currency).

Thanks.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money change in Guatemala

I'm sure they quote prices in USD just to make it easier for you to have an idea of how much something cost. The problem of paying with US currency is that they normally short change you because they give you a lower rate than the official rate which fluctuates on a daily basis by a few cents. And by the same token when you first arrive I suggest you exchange just enough money to pay for transportation because Global Exchange gives you a lower rate than the official rate you get at the bank. Any quetzales you hve left over you can always exchange them back to USD at the airport on your departure day. There are plenty of banks/ATMs all over the country also.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money change in Guatemala

Perfect advise from the previous post. Go to the banks or ATM for the best exchange. Locally the ATM are know as cajeros.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money change in Guatemala

A lot of hotels will take dollars or quetzales. I've never tried to pay an entrance fee in dollars, and I pay for tours in quetzales. It's usually cheaper to pay in quetzales because you may not get the best exchange rate on your dollars.

4. Re: Money change in Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 06:16