We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

My husband and I will be visiting Guatemala for a week in early July. I would like some suggestions on a hotel in zona 1 that is safe, clean and within walking distance of attractions. (We prefer smaller establishments. ) IIf this is not a safe zona what other zona would you suggest we stay in? I read the reviews on Pan American Hotel and Hotel Belen, can anyone tell me about these two? Safe?

We will be traveling to Antigua and staying for a night or two. Any suggestions on hotels there?

Lake Atitlan? How many days are enough to soak in what it has to offer? 3-4 days?

I appreciate all recommendations.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

Zone 1 is generally safe during the day. At night, you need to take cabs. I haven't stayed at any hotel in Zone 1 in about 15 years so can't really make a recommendation, but besides the two you name, Delmonte on this board often recommends either the Sevilla or the Colonial (can't remember which, you could pm him). Some also like Hotel Spring.

nyc
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

Here is a recent entry from this forum that discussed Antigua hotels: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295366-i1600-k439…

I like La Quinta de Los Flores (it was given a gentle dig in the above) especially.

At Lake Atitlan, you have different towns around the lake from which to choose. You could spend two nights or the rest of your life. I'd get away from Panajachel. My family stayed at Vulcano Lodge last August and highly recommend it for the accommodations, food, and great hosts.

If you don't have specific things you want to accomplish in Guatemala City, I would suggest heading from airport to Antigua.

Edited: 29 April 2011, 21:26
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

As DonCraig says I recommend Hotel Sevilla on 9a avenue and 12 calle, because I've stayed there twice, and I've been very satisfied with it because it's real clean and safe. With private bath and cable TV for about US$25 for a single room. The only thing I don't like is the way they run their restaurant which leaves a lot to be desired. But then, there is another good hotel around the corner for about US$30 single and good food. I've eaten there, but for some reason which has nothing to do with my age I can't remember it's name. But it's on 12 calle between 9th and 8th avenue.And you're within a few blocks from I hate to say it, McDonalds which is my favorite place for breakfast in guatemala because I like their coffee, and I don't have to wait the whole day for that second or third cup of coffee. And not only that, just like here in the US you get free refills. And you also have internet cafes at nearby Plaza Vivar. But of course at night you have to call a cab to go anywhere. I don't like Posada Belen because of it's location in a quiet street farther from the main square and 6th avenue, and with no police presence around. But supposedly the Panamerican Hotel is the best, a bit pricier but their guatemalan cuisine is supposed to be good. And I've read somebody else on the Lonely planet forum recommending Hotel Spring in zone one also. So, if it's within your budget, PanAmerican should be your first option, and Sevilla second. Now, one more thing, I know there is another one right on 6th avenue which appears to be better than Sevilla. But I can't remember it's name either. Good luck.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

I understand that Antigua is about 1 hours drive from GC. We will arrive in GC at about 3:30 pm. How can we get to Antigua from the airport?

I appreciate all of your suggestions. Thank you.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

I appreciate the time the taken to respond to my questions. Your suggestions are very helpful. Thank you.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

There will be shuttles waiting at the airport to take people to Antigua, usually for $10. A taxi would run about $20.

I missed your other questions before, but a lot of us like Casa Cristina in Antigua. On the lake, I really like Lomas de Tzununa for its amazing views and friendly welcoming owners.

7. Re: Guatemala Zona 1 Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Guatemala City