We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi to zone 1 from zone9

wi
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
taxi to zone 1 from zone9

I will be staying in zone 9 and want to go to zone 1 to visit the national palace, cathedral, avenida 6a street shopping and market. What is the best and safest way to get there and back. I probably can have the hotel to get me a reputable cab there, but how can I get a safe trip back? Any ideas? About what is the cost of taxi from zone 1 to zone 9? Is it possible to walk?

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

I don't have all the answers but I can tell you that you won't be able to walk from zone 9 to zone 1.. its pretty far and maybe not so safe, specially if youre alone. The hotel will get you a cab, take the same color of cab or ask the driver to for his information. People are usually friendly and will try to help you but ask in the hotel, Zona 1 cannot be trusted at times. Also know that Zona 1 is pretty big so be sure to ask to be dropped off a site you want to see. I'm not so sure when it comes to prices.. hope it helped.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

Finding a cab will be easy enough. I do like the idea of using the same cab for both the trip to Zone 1 and your return to your hotel. Every cab driver I have used loves the round trip opportunity and they will work hard to please you. Plan on around 50Q each way.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

This map could be useful

www.mapasdeguatemala.com/mapas/modules.php… But believe it or not I've taken the white taxis hundreds of times without a single incident to give me a reason to feel uneasy while riding them. I enjoy engaging cabbies in conversations about sports or upcoming events because they're pretty friendly. Most of them if not all of them carry their own business cards in case you want their services some other time. Now, If the hotel calls one for you, you can expect to pay more than if you walk over to the main entrance at the Los Proceres mall where you can always find them waiting on fares. All those white cabs work on a lease basis just like here in the state. And are fairly new and clean compact models. I check guatemalan newspapers on line every day and I've never read of any case where cab drivers have been involved on crimes or doing something illegal against pax. And that gives me confidence tthat if I need one I can flag one down anywhere in the city, which I've done may times. The only thing I don't like is that they don't use the meter. But if you think the fare they quote you is too high, then you can always negotiate and they're pretty agreeable for the most part.Then, you also have the yellow cabs that you can call. But I've never taken them because I understand their fares are a bit higher. So you should be fine.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

I've walked to Zones 9 and 10 from my hotel in Zone 1 numerous times. No danger at all during the day. And I've taken cabs back and forth as well. Just flag a cab down and you'll be fine.

Fares can vary but you shouldn't pay more than maybe 50Q each way. I've paid less at times, and more other times.

If you walk, just take 6th Avenue. You'll pass lots of cool places like the Municipal Center, the National Theater, the Plazuela Espana....it's a fun walk.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

I can remember when it was 40Q. I like the yellow cabs because you don't have to worry about negotiating the fare.

wi
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

How far is the walk?

Houston TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

My daughter and I just returned from a trip to Guatemala City and Antigua and can recommend a very reputable driver. His name is Elmer Soto and he runs Puntual Express. His cell number is 5129-2222 and 4336-2211; email taxituristico@gmail.com and website is www.puntalexpress.com. Elmer and his team are reasonable, picked us up early each time, reconfirmed the apportments and was a delight. When my daughter's keyes fell out of her purse in his car at the airport he chased us down in the terminal to return them to us, avoiding a huge probelm for her if he had not done so. He will take you around Guatemala City, transfers to and from Antigua, the airport etc.

Houston TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

My daughter and I just returned from a trip to Guatemala City and Antigua and can recommend a very reputable driver. His name is Elmer Soto and he runs Puntual Express. His cell number is 5129-2222 and 4336-2211; email taxituristico@gmail.com and website is www.puntalexpress.com. Elmer and his team are reasonable, picked us up early each time, reconfirmed the appointments and was a delight. When my daughter's keys fell out of her purse in his car at the airport he chased us down in the terminal to return them to us, avoiding a huge problem for her if he had not done so. He will take you around Guatemala City, transfers to and from Antigua, the airport etc.

Edited: 17 May 2011, 16:30
Houston TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

sorry that should read www.puntualexpress.com

10. Re: taxi to zone 1 from zone9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 06:18