We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

Hi all:

I have asked about time allocation before in this forum. Please be patient with another question about time allocation.

After some reading the Lonely Planet guidebook and reading posts in this forum I plan to do the following and like to hear your opinion.

I will be arriving to GC 8 AM. I plan to take a shuttle to Antigua and spend three nights there. I am wondering if three nights in Antigua is a tad too long as I have read in this forum that many people visit Antigua as a day-trip from Guatemala City.

From Antigua I will go to Atilan Lake for another two nights. Finally, I will go back to GC from Atilan and spend one day and one night in Guatemala. My return flight to Los Angeles will be an early at around 8 AM.

Many thanks in advance.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

I think 2 nights in Antigua will give you enough time to see the highlights there, three nights even more so. Two or three nights at Lake Atitlan will be sufficient as well.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

I'd do 3 each and avoid the night in GC. Loads of photos and ideas below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

Hi and thank you all for your help.

Hopeful: The reason wanting to stay in GC for the night is the early flight at 8 AM I have to catch. I assume that it is possible to go to the airport early from Anitgua?

If getting to aiport early from Antigua is possible, then I rather go straight to the lake upon arrival for three nights there and three night in Antigua. What do you think? Again, many thanks.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

I always try to spend the night before I leave in GC. You never know if there will be some traffic problem between Antigua and the airport.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

Hi DC,

I probably will do just that. I don't like to wake up too early in the morning. I suppose there is shuttle or bus to the Lake from the airport? Thank you.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

You could leave early early from Antigua for the 8am flight but I agree that staying in GC is a safer bet. Yes, you can shuttle from the airport to the lake with many agencies; whether that will work for you or not depends on your flight time. Here are 2 I've used and recommend:

www.adrenalinatours.com

www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Edited: 06 November 2012, 04:11
7. Re: Antigua-GC-Atilan Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 10:18