We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from GC to Panajachel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from GC to Panajachel

I will be flying into GC in a couple of weeks and plan to take a public bus to Pana. Transportes Rebuli appear to be the bus company that operates this service, but I am getting conflicting information online about where in GC the bus leaves from.

Lonely Planet has at in Zona 8: lonelyplanet.com/guatemala/guatemala-city/tr…

Transportes Rebuli's own website has them in Zona 1 : http://rebuli.com.gt/contact.htm

Does anyone know for sure?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
390 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

The Lonely Planet map looks correct. I know from several threads on the Thorntree forum that the Rebuli buses depart from a location near the "trebol" (cloverleaf interchange) in Guatemala City's Zona 8. Here's a link to the a recent thread: www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

It looks like from your link that Transportes Rebuli's *offices* are located in Zona 1...that's their office location, not the terminal where the buses depart from.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

In the past and before they were forced out of the city, buses used to leave out of zona1. Now,if I'm not mistaken, from what I've read, Transportes Rebuli has only one bus with direct service to Panajachel. So, you'd need to check the www.thebusschedule.com/gt Otherwise there is way to get there taking a bus to Xela (Alamo, Galgos, Linea Dorada) getting off at Los Encuentros, the turn off to Panajachel. And at that point you're only about 20 minutes from Pana with a bunch of chicken buses going down that way. FYI when it comes to guatemalans updating their websites they're the worse in the world. In fact I didn't know they had a wedbsite. I'll check it out as soon as I finish typing this. Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Panajachel
Panajachel
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
390 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

Kyle, as far as I know, Guatemalan City hasn't constructed a Centra-Occidente (a Western terminal) for buses leaving Guatemalan City for the Western highlands. So, I believe that all pullman buses going towards Xela/Lake Atitlan area still leave from their own terminals and offices, wherever they may be located. What you have said DOES apply to the northbound intercity buses, which are supposed to depart from Centra-Norte (the northern terminal) and all the buses headed for the coastal plain, which are supposed to depart from Centra Sur (the southern terminal).

Rebuli's website looks pretty up to date. Based on the info on the Thorntree forum and Rebuli's website, it looks like Rebuli offers direct service from GC for Panajachel on an hourly basis, with their last direct bus leaving GC at 3 p.m.

Neal, if you're getting to Guatemala City after 2 p.m. in the afternoon, I would follow Kyle's recommendations. From the airport, get a taxi to one of the "first class bus" companies that Kyle lists, with destination Xela. (you'll have to check their schedules to see which works for you). It's a comfortable ride from the City. Then get off the bus at Los Encuentros and get on a a chicken bus for Panajachel.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
651 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Panajachel
Panajachel
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

I sent an email, in Spanish, to Rebuli, and just received a response. I must say I fully expected it to bounce back undeliverable. Anyway, they tell me their buses depart from their Z1 location and it costs Q30.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
390 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

Cool. Please report back here on your experience with Rebuli once you've done the trip!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

Well I guess in that case I stand corrected. Tulipancita makes a good point about a third bus terminal that as far as I know is not in the works or even being mentioned because in that case they would have to built a fourth one for the west bound buses. Guatemala uses Mexico City as a model to do things after. And there, there are only two bus terminals North and South.. So, I am real surprise to hear that Transportes Rebulis buses still depart from zone one and not from El Trebol in zone 8. Because the same goes for the rest of the bus lines operating their own nice terminals scattered around downtown in zone one. Transportes Galgos has or used to have their own nice terminal downtown in zone one. And Alamo has theirs in zone seven near Calzada Roosevelt on the way out of town. And like I've said many times before, according to local papers the rest of bus lines with service out of the city regardless, were being forced out once the Metra Norte was completed because the South terminal was already operating.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

Okay, just to add to the confusion here, I just got another email response from Rebuli. It's not clear if it's the same employee who responded earlier, but again he/she said I should go to the Z1 location. This second email also asked for my arrival details at La Aurora. I gave them, and he/she came back again, this time telling me to go to Calle 41 and Calle 7 in Zone 8. The good news with that is that Zone 8 is a lot closer to La Aurora than Zone 1. From what I can tell from the email and the departure times, it appears that the bus I'm catching leaves their Zone 1 terminal at 1pm, and I catch it at the Zone 8 location at 1.25pm. Gotta love Guatemala. Can't wait.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
8. Re: Bus from GC to Panajachel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:18