We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport around Guatemala

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Transport around Guatemala

My bf and I are researching for our 2 week trip to Guatemala in June/July and our possible itinerary (need to agree on days etc) includes:

Fly into GC and transfer to Antigua for a few days

Travel to Panajachel and visit Lake Atitlan and Chichicastenango - 1/2 days?

Travel to Coban and visit Semuc Champey

Travel to Flores and visit Tikal - 1 day / night?

Travel to Lago Izabal and take a boat down Rio Dulce to Livingston

Travel back to Antigua for a night

Get shuttle bus to beach with El Paredon House for 4 nights for surfing

Is this too much or can we fit in a hike up a volcano?

What I would love is information on the transport to use when travelling between each town. Is there any national standard bus company and bus terminals in each town or is everything privatised? Can anyone recommend bus companies to use on our journey? I know there are other forums on the subject, but the safety on some of the buses and on certain roads is obviously a concern too.

Thanks so much in advance!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport around Guatemala

That's a lot of moving around for 2 weeks. If it was my trip I'd bag Semuc Champey and stay longer on Lake Atitlán. If you don't stay at least 3 nights for Semuc Champey, you're spending more time getting there and away (at least a day each way) than you are there - bad trip math imo. In general I would plan at least 3 nights per stop, though 1 or 2 nights for Tikal is enough for many. Re: transportation, your options vary depending on where you're going. For many trips, the cheap share shuttles aren't much more than buses that take longer and require periodic switching; they're not as comfortable as 1st or 2nd class buses for longer trips, though.

Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements. ¡Buena suerte!

Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport around Guatemala

Getting from Pana to Semuc is a very long day, if it's even possible.

I"d do Coban and Semuc first, then Tikal, down to RD, then through GC to the lake, then figure out how to get to the beach from there.

But I agree with Stacy; you're trying to cram in a lot into a short period of time. Easiest thing is to drop Semuc.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport around Guatemala

I agree with the route DC is suggesting. It saves you time moving, without having to backtrack.

Monmouth Beach, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport around Guatemala

Agree with Hope, you could wind up exhausted! Semuc is a 2 hour pickup ride after you get to Coban to get to the pools. I would do Antigua 4, Pana/Atitlan 4, Pacific 4, with day trip to ChiChi, launchas around the Lake for 20Q. (1.50 USD) Publico! All kinds of scammers will offer you private boat trips for big money. If you love Guate, you will come back. Major new Arch. finds up in Peten! Tikal, Cloud Forest, Semuc, Rio Dulce, Livingston I would do in the future, with Belize. Also easy to do Pacaya from Antigua as day trip.

5. Re: Transport around Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15