We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Atitlan Villages

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Lake Atitlan Villages

Could someone summarize the differences between the different villages around Lake Atitlan? We will be staying at Panajachal for 2 nights and would like to visit 1 or 2 of the villages. Our preference would be to see the least touristy of the villages. A friend said that when she went to the large village (Santiago Atitlan?) the people were very aggressive about trying to sell her things. Is that typical for most of the villages?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

Hi there, unfortunately sometimes people trying to sell you souvenirs are very persistent and can get to be annoying. But I have never experienced or heard complaints of that being an issue or them being aggresive. I'd say that if you tell them "I'm not interested, don't bother me" They leave you alone. Good luck.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

Thank you, your suggestion about how to respond to the sellers sounds reasonable. Can you recommend one or two villages to visit?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

No, unfortunately I don't know the villages around the lake very well. But I've read some very detailed trips reports on the lonelyplanet forum. For hotels information go to www.panajachel.com or www.atitlan.com.

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
265 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

Just visited Pana and we went over to Santa Catarina and San Antonio Polopo .I enjoy visiting both and they are 15 minutes apart if that...Catarina has a few wonderful shops with working artisans and San Antionio has a womens co op .

Santiago is fun .Sure they are anxious to sell things but that is how they make a living and a "no Thank you " works..I walk up the main street from the lake and turn left at the top of the hill and on the left about 2-3 stores on the left is a store run by 3 young sisters and i am amazed at their language skills .One sister speaks 5-6 languages ..She learned by bargaining with tourists ..AMAZING The town has several artists selling beaded bags and jewelry

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

Thanks for the information. Did you walk between the villages or did you take a boat?

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
265 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

Had a car and driver to Catarina and Antonio but took a public boat to Santiago Atitlan...You could hire a guide for a half day for the 2 villages and then do Santiago on your own...I suggest and early boat ...lake ride is smoother in the morning and I think cost is 25Q /pp....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

I know the answers to all your questions just from reading guidebooks and online info, but since I havent been yet, am reluctant to give advice... But, its amazing how much info is around....

And, anywhere you go outside the US and the richer parts of western Europe, people are aggressively trying to sell you things

Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

We just got back from there~

LOVED Every minute of our trip.

We stayed at Hotel Posada De Don Rodrigo and loved that hotel.

We went to 2 of the towns across the lake~

San Juan la Laguna ~ this was our favorite. We did not see any other tourists here. We walked through the town with our guide (took a boat from Pana). We had a personal tour, I can give you the name of the company who set this all up for us if you'd like. We just loved this town and how quaint and undiscovered it was. Not one person asked us to buy anything, it was very quiet there and no one selling anything or bothering anyone. We also went to Santiago Atitlan and loved it as well, but there was a lot more going on in this town but it was still fantastic.

We just loved it.

If you want any more info from our trip to Guatemala I would be happy to email you with our itinerary and guide info~ We LOVED IT!! :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

Thank you so much for your posting. Yes, I would love to get more information regarding your tour company and itinerary.

Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Atitlan Villages

The company we used was Adventures in Mayalandia.

www.mayalandia.com

His name is Andre and it was completely personalized with exactly what we told him we wanted to do.

I can email it to you if you want.

Email me at tiffb123@yahoo.com!

I am also working on a blog post of our trip in Guatemala with photos etc...I am hoping to have it up in a few days! :)

You can check there too hopefully by the end of the week www.photographsbytiffany.blogspot.com

I am so excited for you~ It is a great place!!