We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam warning! Do NOT use the ATM at San Pedro La Laguna!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Scam warning! Do NOT use the ATM at San Pedro La Laguna!

Scam Warning! Do NOT use the ATM machine at San Pedro La Laguna!

I just traveled through Guatemala and am in Honduras at the moment, but wanted to post a warning about something that we saw happen to many travelers, including just yesterday.

There is only one ATM machine at San Pedro La Laguna at Lake Atitlan, so travelers tend to use it. This machine is notorious for being hacked, i.e. after you make a withdrawal, your card is copied and your bank account is drained. This happened to many travelers we encountered in the last few weeks.

Please be aware of this and pass it on. Get your cash elsewhere before you arrive!

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scam warning! Do NOT use the ATM at San Pedro La Laguna!

This is all too common in the region. Hint... look for any kind of false front on the ATM. Clever little hackers will slap a unit on that looks like part of the ATM. After a few hours that come back for it. Obviously, this is done while the bank is closed. Pana is definitely safer.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scam warning! Do NOT use the ATM at San Pedro La Laguna!

There's two ATMs in San Pedro, one by the dock and the other outside the bank. Which one was it?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scam warning! Do NOT use the ATM at San Pedro La Laguna!

I believe. It's the. one by the dock

4. Re: Scam warning! Do NOT use the ATM at San Pedro La Laguna!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:18