We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

We're researching which Lake Atitlan town we'll stay in, next March. This trip is a celebration for my 50th, my husband's 50th, and our 20th anniversary, so we're not adverse to plunking down a little cash if there's a unique or awesome hotel.

We'll also be in Antigua for two nights. We were going to go with a more modest hotel there, but if that's the place to splurge, would love recommendations there, too.

Thanks!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

All the top hotels are listed on Tripadvisor. Here are the top hotels according to price. They are all great, but each offer something different.

Casa Polopo, Laguna Lodge, Hotel Atitlan, Posado Don Rodrigo, Villa Sumaya, Lomas de Tzununa.

March is high season so you may not find any discounts, but Casa Polopo and Laguna Lodge are on Groupon.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

What do you mean by "splurge?" How much per night are you thinking?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

I never would have thought to look at Groupon, thanks.

By "splurge" I mean that we're not necessarily looking for a nice hotel on a budget. Atitlan Hotel looks about right, price-wise, Casa Polopo might be more than we would be comfortable spending.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

I haven't stayed at either of these places yet, but my idea of a splurge at Lake Atitlan would be La Casa del Mundo in Jaibalito or Posada de Santiago (in Santiago). Based on my research, both have unique accomodations, lovely surroundings, and well-reviewed food on site. I am hoping to be at one, or both, this summer. Neither place would break the bank. Have a fun trip.

Edited to add - I know different folks who return to these places year after year because they are also well run and have nice people on site.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 14:13
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

I would add Aaculaax and Vulcano Lodge to the list with Lomas, CDM, and the Posada. I haven't been to the Vulcano Lodge (yet), but of the other four, the Posada and Lomas are the ones that I go back to.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm reading through those specific hotel listings here.

Just had a discussion with the family, and both my husband and son favor being in Panajachel. Sigh.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

OK, I got clarification. It's not so much they want to stay in Pana. They didn't like the idea of taking a bus to Pana and then having to take a boat to San Pedro. That sounded too remote to my husband. So ... what he really wants is to be able to leave the hotel and walk around a town. Is Pana the best choice?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

Part of being around Lake Atitlan is visiting the different villages. Boats are pretty much unavoidable.

If you're looking at Hotel Atitlan for Pana, you should know that it's not in town. From what I've read, most people take a tuk-tuk back and forth to town. Lomas, CDM, and Vulcano Lodge would be remote.

Aaculaax would work for being able to walk around, but San Marcos isn't much to walk around. Posada de Santiago is outside town also, but it's a shorter (and easier) walk into town than Hotel Atitlan, and it's an authentic Mayan town.

Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
10 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

In Panajachel I would recommend the Posada de Don Rodrigo.. Ideally located at the hand of the main street. easy to access and from which to go visit Panajachel. Great rooms with views to the volcanos and its sunsets.

Directly accessible by car.. and they host also the Archeological Underwater Museum...

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Splurge Hotel in Lake Atitlan?

Thanks for the location info ... That's the hardest to figure out!

Get answers to your questions about Lake Atitlan