We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
555 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

We only have one week to spend in Belize so we are wondering is there anything from the following that we should cut from our Guatemala trip to spend more time in Belize or are they all worth seeing-

19th-Lake Atitlan spend a night in Panajachel.

20th-San Marcos la Laguna-spend a night here

21st-Stay for 2 nights in Semuc Champney

23rd-Leave for Tikal.

The reason I ask is there something worth cutting from the itinerary is that I cannot swim and Im not particularly fit so any hiking or swimming is out for me and is there anything else left to do after that??I know theres the beautiful scenery but do these 3 areas around the lake look the same?Time is vital on this trip!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

I would not spend two nights in Lanquin/Semuc. One night is enough, or even spend the night in Coban (a fantastic town) and take a day trip to Semuc Champey. That frees you a day to add to the Atitlan or Peten sides of your trip.

2. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 21:05
California
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

Question is, how fit are you? Guatamala has a lot of uneven paths. And roads can be with cobblestones and high steps. Getting in and out of the small boats can be a bit tricky but you will get some help. Tikal involves a bit of a trek to get to sites. As for the lake areas? Most villages involve a bit of a trek but often there are tuk tuks if needed. San Marcos is full of winding paths with uneven areas and if they are working on the path, beware. I was there last month and had some difficulty. An accident can easily happen. The views are basically the same but different. One must be very careful in Central American Countries. Often the power will go out and always carry a flashlight. If you are not sure of your abilities, think carefully about this. If you are able to take private transfer then it would be easier.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

I agree with Schilke -- and I'd go with a night in Coban with a day trip to Semuc. Or drop Semuc altogether, since you can't swim, and it doesn't sound like you could do the hike up to the mirador.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

I'd leave Semuc Champey and Coban out completely - take a plane or a night bus between GC and Flores. I'd pick 1 spot on Lake Atitlán rather move night after night.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
555 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

Ok thanks all.Alot to think about.

7. Re: Are any of these worth dropping from itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:16