We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Atitlan: itinerary and where to stay

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Atitlan: itinerary and where to stay

The schedule of my visit to Lake Atitlán could be the following:

Day 1: arrive in the afternoon, first night on the lake.

Day 2: boat tour (3 or 4 villages).

Day 3: hiking somewhere (where?). Third and last night on the lake.

Day 4: Indian nose at sunrise, then some rest, then transfer to Antigua.

Question 1: where to stay?

The hotel/B&B I like more are in San Pedro, Jaibalito, Santa Cruz.

Perhaps San Marco. Also in Pana there are interesting places, but I don't know if I want to stay 3 nights in Pana.

In order to make my choice, I would know:

Is it possible doing the boat tour from any little village or only from the biggest ones?

Is it possible doing the Indian Nose hiking only from San Pedro or it is easy to organize even sleeping elsewhere?

Is it possible sleeping in Santa Cruz, which is quite far from San Pedro? Or even in Jaibalito, which is also far and also a minor village with presumably less transportation?

Thank you very much

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Atitlan: itinerary and where to stay

The boat taxis make it easy to travel from village to village, so pick the location that sounds best to you. The hotels in Santa Cruz and Jaibalito are great because there are no roads to these places and that makes them quiet and seem more exotic.

The boat start at 6:30 am, and run until late. They pick up at most hotel docks which make it all very easy.

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Atitlan: itinerary and where to stay

Thank you very much!

As for boat start at 6.30 am I suppose it is *not* possible doing the Indian Nose at sunrise if sleeping in Jaibalito/Santa Cruz.

Do you think it is worthy also later in the morning?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Atitlan: itinerary and where to stay

I've only hiked Indian Nose later in the day, never at dawn. Here's a blog post of a 2012 hike:

…blogspot.com/2012/07/hike-to-nariz-de-indio…

4. Re: Lake Atitlan: itinerary and where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:15