We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick a village for us!

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
262 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pick a village for us!

I have started doing some research for a trip to Guatemala, and I know I want to spend most of it at Lake Atitlan. However, I can't decide on what village I want my home base to be in.

It will be my husband and I going (and possibly a couple friends). We like peace and quiet and being surrounded by nature. We want less people, and more beautiful views and sounds. We are both huge nature and wildlife lovers. I enjoy doing yoga, and he enjoys relaxing and reading books. We both love to hike, swim, kayak, etc. We love making dinners full of fresh fruits and vegetables but also enjoy going out for a nice dinner while on vacation. We want this to be a getaway, but we want to experience some culture too (i.e. We don't like going to resorts where it's just America transported to a different climate).

So you tell me, what village will we get the most out of?

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
262 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick a village for us!

Also, I know San Marcos would be the obvious choice for us of the more touristy villages, but was curious if any of the smaller villages would be a better option for us or not :).

Edited: 02 June 2014, 19:33
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick a village for us!

I've never stayed there, but Isla Verde in Santa Cruz might work for you.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick a village for us!

You might want to check out La Fortuna at Atitlan. It is very unique, quiet, and close to San Marcos. The setting certainly fits your criteria!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick a village for us!

First time we drove to Atitlan we got delayed and arrived after dark (don't do that). We picked our way around the lake to what we thought was San Pedro. Next AM I was up searching for coffee and a Tuk-Tuk driver asked me if I wanted to go to San Pedro....huh...where am I? San Juan.

Turns out we liked San Juan. It is (or was) a pleasant local village with almost no tourists...I think we were the only gringos in town.

However, which village you chose is not too critical because they are all a relatively short launcha or tuk-tuk ride away. Close enough to make easy day trips or change to a hotel in a different village.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
262 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick a village for us!

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone!

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick a village for us!

san marcos is not particularly touristy. especially in low season. It is San Pedro that is a little bit full with egotistic, drunk americans

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
514 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick a village for us!

We just returned from a first trip to Guatemala that included Lake Atitlan and we stayed at Posada de Santiago in Santiago Atitlan. It was wonderful! The village of Santiago is very traditional and has some interesting attractions, among them Maximon. We did a tour with a very iimpressive local Mayan woman, Dolores Ratzen, who shared the village's history and culture with us. The Posada is a bit out of town so it isn't noisy or touristy. It's setting is lovely with individual casitas located in a garden setting and there is great access to the lake via the hotel dock. There are kayaks to use and it's across the way from San Pedro which is a great volcano to climb and to view from the hotel. We easily took a boat the days we visited other villages. We absolutely loved the staff and the food in the restaurant is terrific. Check it out. For us it was the right blend of ammenities, ambience, and local flavor. We were just there in low season so it wasn't crowded at all.

8. Re: Pick a village for us!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:15